Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This one thinks he's Billy Idol ...
You Left Coasters sure have some weird-a$$ stuff in the water. I wonder if it's related to all of the LSD flushed into the ocean back in the 60s?

What is "Billy"... a gobie of some sort?

I spent this and last week exploring the mine shafts of an old asbestos mine. Water temp in mine was 4 degrees Celsius i.e. 39 degrees Fahrenheit. Depth about 20-25 meters/60-75 feet. Max penetration 100 m/300 ft. Dive times ranged from 40 to 80 minutes. Max cave time 30 minutes. Visibility about 3-5 meters/9-15 ft.

On one of the dives, just after first tie-off, I noticed a continuous stream of bubbles leaking from my right post. Even with the aid of a HD video camera and instant playback I could not solve the problem underwater and had to thumb myself the dive.

For some reason all hunting and fishing was forbidden in the mine area. One of the local folks told me jokingly that this was due to salmon farming in one of the asbestos quarries. Believe it or not. ;-)

You Left Coasters sure have some weird-a$$ stuff in the water. I wonder if it's related to all of the LSD flushed into the ocean back in the 60s?

What is "Billy"... a gobie of some sort?

"Billy" is a mosshead warbonnet ... and yes we have a lot of weird stuff in the water. It's probably related to all the stormwater runnoff that is the result of massive development, and the fact that the coast is pretty much backed up to mountain ranges that help flush a great deal of fresh water into the sea ... but it sure makes the diving interesting ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

"Billy" is a mosshead warbonnet ...

Oh right... I remember those from Port Hardy days! Cute little B*gger...

It was howling up here the other day so I popped in on a shallow little wreck called the Wetmore. There had been a number of charters there earlier so vis was caca, but it was a good chance to try out a 60mm macro lens borrowed from a friend...

Max depth 24', time was 55 minutes. Death defying for sure.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 55
Sat 8-13-11 Newport, RI, Green bridge solo night dive. Bright waning moon calm wind and water very light surge no chop very light swells. After a 15 min surface swim out of the cove I headed east to start the dive a little late at 2045, 2000 would have been nominal. The surface temp was 74F, max depth 32fsw 64F. Dived the outer rock formations in front of the castle didn't see much activity a few sleeping togs and small jellyfish. Visibility was about 10' maybe a little better. At night of course that's not bad as you can only see as far as your light anyway. One of the reasons I like night diving in NE, if ya got dive in low vis anyway then go at night at least it seems better then it would during the day. Navigated back into the cove and surfaced at 2147 for a total dive time of 62 mintues and a total time in the water of 1hr and 32mins. I love the summer!

It's 12:40 AM here, and I'm just back from a night dive on the wreck of the Arabia. She's a beautiful old barque sunk in 110', three miles from my front door. 108' max, 24 min BT, 30 min total time. Temp at the bottom was a pleasant 42F.

Mrs. Stoo patiently waited and nursed a bottle of Merlot to keep warm. When we got in, we parked outside the pub by the ramp, so I could feed her B52 coffees to warm up. Fall is in the air here. The air tonight is only a couple of degrees warmer than the surface water, at 62F.

It's 12:40 AM here, and I'm just back from a night dive on the wreck of the Arabia. She's a beautiful old barque sunk in 110', three miles from my front door. 108' max, 24 min BT, 30 min total time. Temp at the bottom was a pleasant 42F.

Mrs. Stoo patiently waited and nursed a bottle of Merlot to keep warm. When we got in, we parked outside the pub by the ramp, so I could feed her B52 coffees to warm up. Fall is in the air here. The air tonight is only a couple of degrees warmer than the surface water, at 62F.

Mrs Stoo sounds a treasure - you look after that woman:D

Saturday 8/20/11
Did another soak on the marine electric. This time of year is not to be missed. Visibility on the bottom was a solid forty feet if not more. From the sand you could just make out the shadow of the lip above you. Max depth 127, mix 30/20, run time 63 minutes. It was a one and done day as the weather liars told the truth and by the time I got back on the boat it was "sporty" to say the least.
Eric

68F at 70 ft, 47 min in Colpoy's Bay, near Wiarton Ontario. No sign of a thermocline. Big carp followed me around for a bit. Why did I wear my drysuit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom