How to distinguish between photos with/without a macro lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cumbo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently got a new camera gear (G12, Canon housing, Dyron 67 mm and 77 mm macro lenses).

I don't understand much about the EXIF (?) data of the photo (zoom in mm etc.). Now, this is probably a really stupid question, but I'll take my chance anyhow: is there a way of knowing when you've used a macro lens or two? Is it based on the amount of zoom and the corresponding level of magnification?

I am asking, because I'd like to make keywords for it in Lightroom.

The camera only knows and records (EXIF data) what it knows about It cannot know or record the addition of a wet mounted macro or wide angle lens.

I think for your information that a keyword would be a great way to recognize the shots taken with an add on lens.

There is no way for the camera to tell what add-on lenses are on the housing. Only you can tell. Keywording with the add on is a good idea. If you keyword soon after the dive then you will remember which ones are which. If not then take a slate and make lots of notes.
Bill

you should be able to tell which are macros shots with diopters or not, since macro shots should have very shallow depth of field. When you examine the picture and you see a fstop of f8 and only the eyes of the critter are in sharp focus, then you know that's not a f8 depth of field. You should also tell by the subject distance and focal length stored in the exif data. A diopter will cause the focus distance to be way off, so a shrimp taken at 28mm (35mm equiv) and 1.8 ft must be taken with a diopter since it is impossible to achieve that kind of result with the build in lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom