A Legit Dive Light or a Hoax...What do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're right. I suspect 1200 lumens is an exaggeration and that all the lights on the different websites are the same. I suppose he can put any number in his listing as he has a sales final policy. Even at 700 lumens it should be brighter than anything I have now. My current brightest light is the XTAR D01 which is far brighter than the Dorcy and even brighter than a custom mod of the W200 with two 18650 cells. And I really like the continuous brightness adjustment.

If you do decide to order one remember you'll also need to get a charger and at least two batteries. You can also get the charger and batteries at dealextreme.com -- also with free shipping.

Adam

Actually, I own the infamous 'ugly light' (the same '12W Cree 900 Lumens' that Novae is selling, although mine has the SSC-P7) but the light got stuck on the medium setting after I dropped it from about 3 feet high. It's still working - I actually did a 94 mins dive with it last week - but I want a reliable light, so maybe the Manafont/ebay will be the one. Looking forward to your review! :coffee:

i recieved some info from Manafont about the 2 x 18650 light. they do use the XML T6 light, and grazing various sites on the internet this configuration gives between 650-900 lumens.

This is the same driver that is in the MJ-810. As it is half the price of the uglylight/spikylight (but without batteries), i'm going to buy a couple to see how they do. If it works out, i'll never buy another spikylight again.

I've ordered the Manafont light and after diving with it will post a report.

Adam

Adam:
Any word yet on how that Manafont light performs? How's the brightness and the power control?
Very interested in this light (thanks for the link). Just want to make sure it's not a 200 Lumens light.
Thanks!

Adam:
Any word yet on how that Manafont light performs? How's the brightness and the power control?
Very interested in this light (thanks for the link). Just want to make sure it's not a 200 Lumens light.
Thanks!

I'm still waiting for it from Manafont. Should be here next week and I'll report on it after a dive.

Adam

Adam:
Thanks!

I tried the Manafont light today on a twilight dive at Crescent Bay in Laguna where vis is around 10-15 ft. It puts out lots of light, noticeably more than my buddy's larger pistol grip UK light. The reflector is textured so the center beam is not distinct and it has the feeling of a wide beam video light, but the center does reach pretty well. The two 18650 cells easily lasted through the 45 minute dive with no noticeable change in brightness. I use Trustfire protected cells.
The brightness control worked fine too. You can turn the light on with the twisty and then use the brightness slider during the dive.

It's one of my brighter lights such that I did not want to shine it at the Garibaldis very long for fear of blinding them.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom