Fins for a female with bad leg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YJSONLY

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok my gf has started diving again (because she wants to and me diving) and she has a bad leg. When I say bad I mean... She was born with a club foot (it was fixed but still weak at ankle), It (her leg) is shorter and has caused arthritis in the hip, knee and ankle at the age of 22. She loves to reef dive and looking at the coral and fish. But she needs a fin that does not cause so much strain on her. She is petite only wearing a mans bootie size 5. Full foot fin is out of the question because she needs the boot (nerve issue). The other day she was using a Mares Volo she liked but they were BIG on her. She was using a size small. Ideas?

Cliffs:
Gf has bad leg
needs fin for small women
Fin needs to be EASY on legs and hip

They are higher in the price range, but Force Fins are probably the easiest/most efficient fins on the market. They don't use have a full-foot pocket, so if the right pair of booties are used, then they'll fit just fine.

+1 force fins. Call Bob over at Forcefin and tell him what you need.. I'll bet he has no problem making the mixed sizes for you.

SCUBAPro Twinjets should work nicely.

She should also get a little refresher on "lazy diving", since it's possible to overwork a bad joint in any fin if you're trying to do something you shouldn't.

In fact, depending on what kind of shape her leg is in, a scooter might be more appropriate.

flots.

I'm hard pressed to find a good review on the twinjets... may as well strap a brick to her leg if you go with twinjets (IMO).

GOOD REVIEW: Scubapro Twinjets are extremely easy on a divers legs and have excellent propulsion characteristics.

FB><>Florida Scuba Diver<>< ...0p

I use a oceanic viper ... for me it is a good balance of propulsion vs strain on my knee.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

I don't know if this will help or not, just thinking out loud again:

Perhaps if the fin is too powerful and putting unwanted stress on her leg, you could trim the end of the fin until it reaches the power level that is comfortable.

I made my own split fins and they worked great. Make sure the side rails are stiff enough and drill a hole at the end of the split or else it will keep spliting all th eway up.

> I'm hard pressed to find a good review on the twinjets... may as well strap a brick to her leg if you go with twinjets (IMO).

They're very slightly positive, with a soft feel and good propulsion, and have received consistenly great reviews in any published comparisons that I'm aware of.

Tech divers don't like them for the same reason that they would be perfect in this application: they feel "soft".

plus + for twin jets....we own 3 sets of the yellow ones

My whole family uses them and they work great with zero leg strain.....

Awesome fin

I now use the Seawing Nova as I am willing to trade a bit of comfort for a bit of control as I take pics (try to anyway)....:)

M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom