Suggestions for Dive Boat Key Largo. Very Experienced Divers Mid Week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarracudaJamie

Registered
Reaction score
Two of us both with 1,000 dives are heading to Key Largo in a couple of weeks and will be diving for 2 days (up to 8 tanks). We will be diving mid-week (Monday AM and Wed.) and want to steer clear of the cattle boats. We're both Nitrox and will do the wrecks there (Bibb, Duane, Spiegel) but we were also looking for a smaller boat that would do the wrecks and then maybe let us drift dive the reef. The water should be warm and flat this time of year so a 6-pack might be perfect. Also, does anyone down there do steel 120 tanks for that looooooooong drift dive on the second or third tank?

Will anyone else be down there on 9/12 and 9/14 (Mon. and Wed.) who would like to join to fill a 6pak?

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions.

You don't have to fill a dive boat if you dive with Key Largo Dive Center. I was in Key Largo week in July and tried Key Largo Dive Center, they were the fifth op I've used in Key Largo, and I have to say they were my favorite.

They have a huge six-pack, the first two divers to book the boat call the site, the staff and captain are all super nice, and they'll run the trip with just two. BIG PLUS - if you know what you are doing and have a plan (and can go over it), they WILL do a double dip wreck dive in the afternoon (we double-dipped Spiegel Grove and the Duane-Bibb). This is not something you can find with all the ops.

The six packs are my personal preference, I'm really not a fan of the bigger boats, so that should be taken into consideration. But I'd highly recommend Key Largo Dive Center.

Last edited:
My experience would say that unless you charter the entire boat for the day, then dives run on a schedule. So likely your longest dive will be based on the schedule, and how much running around you do in-between dives/sites. If you charter the entire boat then you have more freedom.

I think you will get good BT, but that is like 75 minutes max on a shallow reef, and you may not get more then 60 minutes. On the deeper wrecks NDL will keep you under an hour. If you want deco that is also charter as far as far as I know. Being wealthy has it's advantages!

In any event I like Conch Republic. They are at MM 90 so S. of Largo a bit. They have done Conch wall as a drift, and the Grove as well, but I have not dove with them for three years and things may have changed. I like larger boats with room and that is what you should get mid week off season. I can also recommend Blue Water Divers, but have not dove with the latest owners.

Try Key Largo Scuba Shack. They run a six pack and are great to dive with. The DM is in the water on all dives. You can use him or dive by yourself. They will try to accommodate you as to where you want to go. Book early and you will have your choice of dive site pics. They also will double dip on the wrecks.
We loved diving with them!

I'm a big fan of Silent World. They have always been very accommodating and professional!

Last edited:
Conch Republic and Silent World are both respected and are used to dealing with experienced and inexperienced divers. Heck, both occasionally sponsor Tech diving (in fact, Silent World allows deco dives on their double dip of the S. Grove for experienced tech divers, something not many other shops allow). I agree with the comment regarding chartering a boat..... if you are not taking the whole boat, you'll probably be stuck with the posted schedule: however, if you are first to book dives on any particular day, shops will sometimes allow you to pick the sites.

Another option is Quiescence: they are a six pack service and will let you pick the site unless their boats are already filled. Quiescence Diving Services , Inc., One of Key Largo's Finest Diving Operations

You don't have to fill a dive boat if you dive with Key Largo Dive Center. I was in Key Largo week in July and tried Key Largo Dive Center, they were the fifth op I've used in Key Largo, and I have to say they were my favorite.

They have a huge six-pack, the first two divers to book the boat call the site, the staff and captain are all super nice, and they'll run the trip with just two. BIG PLUS - if you know what you are doing and have a plan (and can go over it), they WILL do a double dip wreck dive in the afternoon (we double-dipped Spiegel Grove and the Duane-Bibb). This is not something you can find with all the ops.

The six packs are my personal preference, I'm really not a fan of the bigger boats, so that should be taken into consideration. But I'd highly recommend Key Largo Dive Center.

+1 on Key Largo Dive Center! And on one of those days, if they still do it, they run a 3-tank for the cost of a 2-tank. That's good for a lazy day of fish watching. The Cap'n's a sweetheart.

I've only dove with Silent World a couple times but had good trips on both occasions. I think it's
bigger than a six pack but a twelve diver boat at the most. The Captain and crew seemed to be
pretty experienced. I used to dive Blue Water Divers when Brent was there a few years back. I have
not been out with the new owners but want to try them the next time I get down that way. I'm pretty
sure this is a six pack.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom