A few concerns with newly aquired Ikelite Housing for Canon Elph 300HS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My update is not much of one :( , unfortunately....

I have been desperately trying to take this rigg underwater, to see if it will perform differently from above water. Just can't seem to make it happen...from time constraints to hurting my back, I really thought this weekend was test time....well, hurricane Irene spoiled this one too....even if we can get a dive in next weekend, it will be too little time to send it in for adjustment/repair before we go on our trip to the South Pacific on Sept 13th. I hope it will work.....

I was able to permanently repair my housing by using some contact cement to glue a second little plastic hood onto the top of the existing plastic hood on the interior side of my video button, using the parts which Ikelite mailed back to me from the repair they tried to do. Now it is long enough to reliably turn the video on and off. The button would work fine as it was after the repair job only if the o ring was not installed in the housing. After the o ring was inserted, the video button was displaced rearwards just enough for it not to work. Now it works fine. I have included a link to Youtube showing a nice shark video I shot during my dive trip to North Carolina, luckily just prior to hurricane Irene arriving! See: Diving the wreck of the Aeolus in North Carolina - YouTube

Well, we are still on our trip and had over 20 amazing dives in Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii, in Micronesia and now on Oahu.
Unfortunately the Ikelite housing did not cure itself once underwater. As I feared, NONE of the cluster of the 5 buttons worked. I tried like hell.....as a matter of fact, the video button was the only one on the back that worked and the Auto/Program dial. So I was just shooting in Auto mode when half way through the dive, the shutter button also stopped working.
As soon as we return home, I will have to send this housing in for repair. I was very disappointed to say the least.:shakehead:

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I will pass along all your comments to our production and service departments. We apologize for the inconsistencies. A problematic housing can be sent to:

Ikelite Underwater Systems
Attn. Service Dept.
50 W. 33rd St.,
Indpls., IN 46208

Normal evaluation and service turnaround time is approx. 2 weeks.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom