First equipment, thoughts on my choices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently got my first set of equipment. I'm from Minnesota so i'm in much of same boat as you are. I got the EDGE Epic Cold Water Reg and Octo (adjustable, and great mouthpiece)! As a BCD, (I prefer back inflate) I got the Mares Icon MRS Plus BCD it works great and I can recommend it. As a computer I would also consider the Genesis Resource Pro. Its all you need in the way of info, many functions, and a compass included all for 290 bucks.

Thats my 2 cents, good luck:)

I got certified in Ohio waters as well so I know what you are looking for. Just starting out, unless you are getting a dry suit right from the get go, depending on the year your dive season will last somewhere from approx. the middle of June to the beginning of October. Sp you are looking at water temps in the low to mid 60's. The warmest I ever saw it was 72 on the surface, and mid to low 60's depending on depth and quarry. So with temps being in the 60's cold water performance won't be as big of an issue. With that being said however, If you think there is a chance you might start doing some colder water diving (Nov-Dec and (Approx. Mar-early June) definitely look at a reg that is sealed for cold water. I agree with everyone else saying get your wet suit first, with the water temps what they are you want something that is going to fit you good right away. Computer wise, I have the Gekko which is the earlier version of the Zoop, I have never had any problems with it, it is a great computer and does everything I need it to. I am an SSI DiveCon so I do a fair amount of diving and it has never failed me on a dive. My battery is starting to run down, which is expected of any electronic device. I have had it for probably 5 or 6 years, but I can't remember when exactly I bought it now. Needless to say With over 100 dives on it, both air and nitrox, warm and cold water (40F-90F water temps) it has worked amazingly for me, although I will say mine takes a bit of time (Usually 1min or so max) to register temp at depth which is the only complaint I have about it. BC wise I have never dived an Aqualung BC other than in the pool trying it out, I don't have much input on it. I dive an OMS BC which I love, but started out on an Oceanic and haven't had any problems with any of the BCs I've ever dived with. Aqualung makes wonderful regs, one of my sister’s dives with a Sherwood reg, but other than that my whole family dives with AquaLung. My father and I have Apeks regs which I believe is owned by AquaLung, but I may be wrong on that so don't quote me on it. But with an AquaLung, or the Apeks like you can't go wrong, and it is usually somewhat easy to find a cold water rated AquaLung, especially in Ohio. Any questions just send me a PM. I hope this helps you out some.

I got certified in Ohio waters as well so I know what you are looking for. Just starting out, unless you are getting a dry suit right from the get go, depending on the year your dive season will last somewhere from approx. the middle of June to the beginning of October. Sp you are looking at water temps in the low to mid 60's. The warmest I ever saw it was 72 on the surface, and mid to low 60's depending on depth and quarry. So with temps being in the 60's cold water performance won't be as big of an issue. With that being said however, If you think there is a chance you might start doing some colder water diving (Nov-Dec and (Approx. Mar-early June) definitely look at a reg that is sealed for cold water. I agree with everyone else saying get your wet suit first, with the water temps what they are you want something that is going to fit you good right away. Computer wise, I have the Gekko which is the earlier version of the Zoop, I have never had any problems with it, it is a great computer and does everything I need it to. I am an SSI DiveCon so I do a fair amount of diving and it has never failed me on a dive. My battery is starting to run down, which is expected of any electronic device. I have had it for probably 5 or 6 years, but I can't remember when exactly I bought it now. Needless to say With over 100 dives on it, both air and nitrox, warm and cold water (40F-90F water temps) it has worked amazingly for me, although I will say mine takes a bit of time (Usually 1min or so max) to register temp at depth which is the only complaint I have about it. BC wise I have never dived an Aqualung BC other than in the pool trying it out, I don't have much input on it. I dive an OMS BC which I love, but started out on an Oceanic and haven't had any problems with any of the BCs I've ever dived with. Aqualung makes wonderful regs, one of my sister’s dives with a Sherwood reg, but other than that my whole family dives with AquaLung. My father and I have Apeks regs which I believe is owned by AquaLung, but I may be wrong on that so don't quote me on it. But with an AquaLung, or the Apeks like you can't go wrong, and it is usually somewhat easy to find a cold water rated AquaLung, especially in Ohio. Any questions just send me a PM. I hope this helps you out some.

To answer the question about wrist versus console, it boils down to personal preference. I got a console with my first set of kit all of which I bought used. After about 10 dives I decided I wanted to try wrist mount so I cut up my console and made some wrist boots out of it. I prefer the wrist mount because it's easier for me to watch multiple gauges at once that way without having to change my body position significantly. If you meet someone who has a wrist mount try it out and see which you prefer.

I think most computers can be bought as a wrist or console version and any gauge can certainly be put in either mount or bought as such so it's entirely up to you.

My daughter uses a Suunto Zoop, no problems with it when we dived in Sipadan last month, matched my Vyper when we dived together.

Nothing wrong with conservative dives, equals safety in my book.

Wrist mounted is my personal preference, I can check it when I am taking photographs with just a quick glance instead of finding my console.

As others have mentioned, a good fitting wetsuit / drysuit is a more personal item and would be my first choice of equipment.

Regulator would be next in line.

The Zoop is a great DC.

My only issue with Zoop is I don't like the glow in the dark substitute for a back light.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom