Dumbest things you've seen a newbie diver do

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are a new diver with less than 25 dives and you spent 30 minutes virtually naked in 6 degree water?? in a drysuit???

OW courses are conducted weekly here every winter, in similar conditions. All students wear drysuits from day one. You don't need undergarments all that much when you're seriously overweighted, in a fully inflated 6mm neoprene drysuit and pretty much look like the Michelin man. For some reason, students tend to find buoyancy control a bit tricky...

A thing happened to me last time i dived..A strap loosened from one of my fins..Never happened before. I never detached the strap before. Not even on dry land..Never had a reason to do it..I floated around on the surface trying to get the plastic buckle back on the fin...Couldn´t do it.
So I swimmed back to land (lucky it was no more then 50 meters away) so I could sit down on some rocks and fix the thing...
It striked me that time how disabled I felt swimming with only one fin..
No catastrophe but yet...

There are so many small things that can happen when you dive. Things that you may have practiced on the coarse when you took your certficate. But if you don´t continue to practice these things I think you can get in some sort of false security..
Pulling of the mask under water for example...Don´t think I have ever had to do this thing after my course. Now I only have about 15 logged dives yet...
I think I must train more on these kind of things. It´s not so fun to do but I think it´s essential..
We all have to remember that if anything goes wrong in the water you can die if you panic and don´t cool down...

Reactions: Jax
Hanging at a safety stop is a great place to practice mask off.

Well, how about a new diver before his first 2 dives of OW course parties late in Cabo, has a moderate breakfast and heads to the boat after forgetting his seasickness meds (while he knows well that he gets seasick easily, even after growing up around water and sailboats with quite a bit of time spent on sailboats as well as various power boats). First dive went well but during SI some rolling seems to get to him. He goes into water, everything fine. But in about 15 feet of water, while going through various drills (I think it was exchanging regulators or something like this) he starts throwing up. I am kinda OK with this person since he didn't panic or bolt. However, he didn't know what to do at this point. Instructor thumbed up and person ascended with his buddy in controlled manner and finished fish feeding quest at the surface, explaining to instructor the cause and specific physiological phenomena, where this person has experienced such seasickness quite few times before and never had any after effects and always felt just right after initial fish-feeding ritual. After that dive resumed and ended as a pretty good first day of certification dives. That person felt both embarrassed in front of the buddy (his 10 year old son) and somewhat OK due to the fact that everything went fine with no drama involved, no panic or anything of this nature. Instructor said that the right course of action was to vomit into regulator which I am kinda questioning now. Anybody has any idea on this? That person did it both into regulator and then proceeded to removing it for feeding act and replacing for breathing. Any idea on this?

Why vomit in to the reg?? Can´t all the stuff you throw up get stuck inside and clog the reg??
Whats wrong with removing the reg and vomit??
As long as you do the standard procedure and blowing in the reg before inhale again it can´t be wrong...
Or could it??

Not having puked while diving, I can only go by the theory.

If you vomit into the reg, it should pass out the exhaust ports. If it all doesn't, a quick hit of the purge valve will cure it.

If you remove the reg to vomit, it is likely that you'll aspirated water after the vomit, when you have an involuntary inhale.

YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fisheater has it right. The air coming into your reg's second stage comes via a small orfice that's covered with a hard or soft "seat". When you breath this triggers the seat to move and allow air to flow into the second stage.
There's so much air pressure coming out that it's next to impossible for vomit or even water to enter into the hose. So vomiting in the reg underwater is of no real consequence to its condition. Excluding smell and taste that is.

The second stage is actually pretty simplistic and has quite a open cavity. Giving it a good sloshing followed by a purge while it's underwater will usually clear it of any debris. So puke away, when your done just put your reg into a spin cycle. :wink:
And if you're worried about inhaling any fish food, just lift your tongue to block the incoming particles. I actually do this whenever I'm recovering or purging my reg. There's nothing worse than inhaling a wet breath.

Well, of course I am not talking from personal experience:wink: but involuntary inhalation after vomiting seems overrated:) I think [-]me[/-] that person did fine either way. I guess just another interesting experience in early diving carrier:)

Dumb thing - underwater communication.

My buddy and I (my wife and I) were taking one of our "exploratory classes" for PADI AOW - it was Peak Performance Buoyancy. They were of course asking each of us to do the buddah hover with legs crossed while the rest of us were planted on our knees in the sand (seperate b*tch session about this in other threads ... :wink: ). My buddy was overweighted, and having problems and kept rotating into a belly up, sinking configuration and hitting the sand tank first - like an upside down turtle. I of course thought this was hilarious, and was laughing through my reg, but knowing well enough to keep that to myself.

We were still fairly new, so new sea life was exciting. While waiting for her, and watching her turtle, I saw some sea life and tried to sign it to her like this:

Point to myself.
2 finger point to eyes.
hand flat waving through water
finger pointing over shoulder, behind me.

She promptly gave me the bird, flipping me off. I was very confused.

As soon as we surfaced, she said, "F**k you" and stormed off without speaking to me. After a cooling off period, I asked her what that was about!?!? She understood me to say, "watch me swim" - like I could be properly buoyant and she should do what I do.

I meant:

Point to myself. I
2 finger point to eyes. saw/see
hand flat waving through water An eel
finger pointing over shoulder, behind me. Over there

We still laugh about this - and still struggle to work on our communication - both above and under the water. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom