Buttons don't work on Ikelite housing for Canon Elph 300hs camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have exactly the same behaviour with my identical setup - works fine at depth, but not dependably shallower than 3m or so. I suspect that part of the issue is that the camera buttons have only a very small movement, meaning that very tight tolerances are required for the housing controls. Can you give me an idea of how much extra length you added to make yours work?

Thanks,
Huw

Just the thickness of the plastic interior rod cover, glued on top of the one already there. I pressed the second inverted U shaped rod cover on top and over the first, both identically aligned, so I was only increasing the length of the button by the thickness of the material of the rod cover. Kind of like how a scuba diving hood fits over your head, snug with the other rod cover underneath it. I had to cut the length of the second cover so it would fit and so it would be a bit shorter than the first cover underneath it. Now it works great. It would be great if Ikelite would get the buttons a little bit too long instead of too short, at least that way we could be sure they would reliably work!

I have the same Canon and just got my Ikelite housing a couple days ago. I basically have the same problem with the buttons. I mean it actually HURTS to push the flash mode button far enough for it to make contact! It would be no problem for me to return my housing to the dealer if I do it soon. Then the alternative would be the Canon housing but I'm guessing that the Ikelite is much better quality in the long run.

I guess I will try to rig it by adding a cap of some kind to the rubber push button rod coves like some others have done.

I watched your North Carolina wreck dive video! Great! I am looking forward to putting my setup to use soon!

Yes, I hope you can figure it out...I have called Ikelite and they told me if you ship the camera and the housing to them they will work on it until all the buttons are functional. But you need to go thru the dealer and be sure to insure the merchandise before mailing. Be also sure to put in the o ring because this further displaces the buttons in the wrong direction, at least it does so on my camera. My guess is that Ikelite designed the housing without taking this into account, making the buttons unable to work. Such a shame, as I've not seen better results with any point and shoot than with the 300HS. Absolutely marvelous underwater mode, low light sensitivity, wide angle capability, HD autofocus video, small size, etc...the best underwater P&S out there right now. Good luck!! I hope Ikelite corrects their housings for future production.

Personally, I use a Nimar housing and it's never failed me. What I mean by that is, it's never flooded or cracked. Although I've dropped the housing quite a few times. I enjoy having a clear housing rather than an aluminum case(it's better don't get me wrong) but I clear because I can see, just in case, if my housing floods. I DO NOT want my baby to get wet.

I've heard good things about ikelite, I'm not trying talk bobo.

and here's a picture of Pipin, idk if you know him but he's a pretty awesome diver and uses nimar

Hello kblghtlght@aim.com,

Nimar housings are not perfect , they also have some problems with buttons and leaks. They certainly cannot be dropped (nor any other housing) and the fact that you also sent the same message to our website makes me think this is a cheap way to promote the Nimar brand.

While we are a Nimar dealer and we appreciate their products this is not a way to promote the brand.

Same housing, same problem. While it's an easy fix, I found it pretty annoying that the housing doesn't work straight out of the box. I also found the use of 12/24 threaded holes for a mounting bracket obnoxious... I couldn't find anything that fit at a very well stocked hardware store... Am I supposed to buy an Ikelite adapter plate for my defective housing now. I've had 5 other housings from other manufacturers this was my first and last Ikelite.

Same housing, same problem. While it's an easy fix, I found it pretty annoying that the housing doesn't work straight out of the box. I also found the use of 12/24 threaded holes for a mounting bracket obnoxious... I couldn't find anything that fit at a very well stocked hardware store... Am I supposed to buy an Ikelite adapter plate for my defective housing now. I've had 5 other housings from other manufacturers this was my first and last Ikelite.

I so agree with you chiproy, for the price, this housing should perform right out of the box. We are currently on a 3 week trip to Hawaii and Micronesia, we have done some of the most amazing diving and seen some unbelievably beautiful coral and fishlife. This housing could have easily ruined the entire trip. But I had the foresight and purchased a Canon housing last minute, which, while not as impressively looking, performed flawlessly. I wish, I could return the Ikelite.
But on the other hand, the Canon Elph 300 takes awesome pictures!!

Back
Top Bottom