making the switch-wet to drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 to GoG - you will not need ankle weights if you properly trim your gear. I have weights on my top cam band, weights on the bottom cam band, and weights on my belt. I do not have any weights on my ankles and don't need any.

I agree with GOG and Crush, don't use ankle weights not even to start out with. Why anybody would want to add weights to your their feet is beyond me.
Also don't add too much air to your suit, only enough to eliminate the squeeze. I also leave the valve open, to vent I simply roll to the right.

You need a dry suit inflation hose on your regulator. You may need to change fins, if the boots on your suit (or the rock boots, or whatever you use on your feet) won't fit in your existing fins.

You will find that buoyancy once again becomes a significant challenge. Air in a dry suit has a lot more degrees of freedom, can get a lot further from an exhaust valve, and vents more slowly. Anticipation of the need to vent becomes much more critical. And you will be carrying quite a bit more weight, most likely.

A lot of people get angry at their dry suits when they switch, because they feel like beginners again. It takes some time to sort all the balance and buoyancy issues out, but once you do, you have a lot more flexibility in where and when you can dive.
And it lots of fun to watch a cold water buddy (my wife) on her first dive with a wetsuit in tropical waters. She is always trying to vent before ascending.

Bill

Each to their own. I think that ankle weights are a usefull tool in the drysuit divers toolbox. Some people have naturally floaty feet, others don't, and have no need for ankle weights.

An alternative for floaty feet people are the gators mentioned by GoG, as they prevent air from gathering round the lower legs and ankles. However, a word of warning if you tighten then up too much, then if you have to swim hard, for example in a surface current, they do increase your risk of a cramp. The only times I have had a cramp on a dive was when I had my dive knife strapped round my lower leg and had to swim hard.

Jon

Each to their own. I think that ankle weights are a usefull tool in the drysuit divers toolbox. Some people have naturally floaty feet, others don't, and have no need for ankle weights.

An alternative for floaty feet people are the gators mentioned by GoG, as they prevent air from gathering round the lower legs and ankles. However, a word of warning if you tighten then up too much, then if you have to swim hard, for example in a surface current, they do increase your risk of a cramp. The only times I have had a cramp on a dive was when I had my dive knife strapped round my lower leg and had to swim hard.

Jon

Being a useful tool is one thing, but your post seem to advocate them as a primary requirement.

No one has naturally floaty feet, bone and muscle are neutral. Fat floats, but most fat is located higher on the body. Its the floaty fins and excess air around the ankles that play havoc with trim. If you can get rid of the air, this is preferable for multiple reasons once of which is this tends to get worse if you invert and can lead to a runaway feet up ascent. If air is not the problem and the fins are positive, then you can use heavy fins or ankle weights. I would go for heavy fins, but that is a personal preference.

As for cramps with gators, proper hydration for me is the key along with having an alternate kick. The gators are adjustable anyway. Since I have a P-valve, I can drink like there is no tomorrow and am fully hydrated, no cramps. Since you use a relief zipper, you gotta hold it and control how much you hydrate. That is a tough balancing act and sooner or later you will be diving in a dehydrated state which leads to cramps and feeling like crap after the dive (been there, done that, no going to repeat it).

then you can use heavy fins or ankle weights. I would go for heavy fins, but that is a personal preference.

If you do end up with light fins like Slipstreams (which I ended up with because their foot pockets are slightly bigger than the XL Jets') try adding spring straps. That may be all you need.

I never did try ankle weights when I started diving dry. Eventually, before I went ice diving, I picked up a set of Dive Rite gaiters from an online store. I use them every time I dive my drysuit now, and have a small dive knife installed to one of the attachment straps on the gaiters.

Having a set of heavy fins helps with keeping the feet down, but after a few dives, in my current configuration, things sorted themselves out.

Trident makes a set of rubber straps you can put around your heels to keep air from filling up your boots. My LDS has still not ordered me any of these, but if you google "Trident Fin Keepers", you can find them on amazon for a few bucks. One of my instructors uses them and claims they are helpful.

If you do end up with light fins like Slipstreams (which I ended up with because their foot pockets are slightly bigger than the XL Jets') try adding spring straps. That may be all you need.

All 4 sets of my fins have spring straps, I love the little buggers! Between those and gaiters, my Slipstreams are fine for me, same reason.

gator: informal. shortened form of alligator; an athlete at the University of Florida.

gaiter: a covering of cloth or leather for the ankle and instep and sometimes also the lower leg, worn over the shoe or boot.

Weight and buoyancy control were my two big bugaboos. After a couple hundred dives in a wetsuit I decided to go dry. I didn't take a class. Didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn. It was like learning to dive all over again. After the first 20 or so dives I was ready to burn my drysuit. After 30 dives I was hooked. My weight and trim were worked out and I was well on my way. I second the weight harness. And what ever it takes to get your trim worked out. I have a neoprene drysuit and I find that if my weight is correct and I inflate the suit for comfort my buoyancy is about right. Then it's just a matter of controlling the bubble.

Back
Top Bottom