breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_jeans

Reaction score
just one more lol. any tips to work on breathing control? i am a real air hog i have come to discover and i would like to stay down longer than i do (dont ask how long that is. lets put it this way one time while doing my adv open test i came up with a bone dry tank and my instuctor had like 3/4 of his left)

you air consumption will decrease with time..and experience. I have been there as well....now i surface with plenty more than most. On days i'm not 100%...it's less.

All about being comfortable....i have loved to dive since dive one....but my nervous/anxious factor has changed since then.

A wise DM told me this...and i have found it all to be true

Plus....stay in shape....do cardio on off diving days

Make sure you're warm enough. Air consumption will rocket if you're cold or chilling.

A DM in Aruba gave me this one, hum a little tune (I prefer Yellow Submarine and Octopus's Garden myself).

Tends to help take your mind off of your breathing and helps you to relax a bit...it's also fun to listen to the other divers try to figure out who the singer was after the dive.

Jeff

Don't worry; we've all been there. As I recall it, my first dive was about 15 minutes before I got to 500 PSI. Now I can get to an hour and a half with the same air. How do you improve it? Lots of ways...

1) Diving a lot will get you comfortable, which makes you relax, which slows your rate of breathing.
2) New divers tend to swim too fast, racing past all the good stuff. Diving is mostly a slow, easy sport.
3) Make sure you are warm enough ... if you are cold your body will need fuel to warm up, and the oxygen in the air is that fuel.
4) Make sure you are not over-wieghted ... new divers seem to be consistently 10+ lbs over weighted because instructors, rather than taking the time to teach proper descent techniques, just tack on more weight to get students to the bottom to go through the skills.
5) Make sure you are neutrally bouyant ... you should be able to hover in place without finning. Can't tell you how many times I've seen classes of divers furiously finning past, leaving a huge plume of sand in their wake, because they were so over weighted.
6) Don't waste air on the surface: Use your snorkel when on the surface. Orally inflate your BC rather than relying on the auto inflator.
7) Make sure you are aerobically in shape. Scuba diving was the impetus for me to start spending time in a local pool doing work-outs. In addition to losing a few pounds and changing my % body fat (remember, fat floats), I got used to exercising and recovering in the water.
8) Some divers resport to buying a larger tank (a steel 100 seems to be most common) but I've never been a big fan of that. Usually after 20 or so dives everything gets easier.

Be patient ... it'll improve with time and experience.

I knew an instructor who could do three one hour long drift dives in the Niagara River on a single AL 80 and still come back with 1,000 PSI in his tank. Ten years of diving helps with buoyancy, breathing, etc.

MyDiveLog has nailed right on the head.

I would guess working most on not inflating that vest over and over again would be best. That is a real air waster. But it just comes with practice. I only have 25 or so dives but my air consumption has been showing improvment, mostly due to practicing my bouyancy control and relaxing a little more.

Oh and yoga sure does help with the relaxation and breathing control.

also you may want to practice breathing excercises while in bed at night...Just focus on slowing your breathing down and breathing properly..This helps to lower the breathing rate dramatically

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom