Report: Whale shark tours from Cancun via Scorpio Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

conradb212

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I were in Cancun (at the fabulous Riu Palace las Americas) August 19-27. My wife wanted to snorkel with whale sharks, and we figured Cancun was a good home base. This being our first trip to Cancun, we didn't know who to book with, but with all the positive posts here about Scorpio Divers, we inquired with them via email before the trip.

Result? Very pleased. Jorge responded right away, answered all questions via email, and so we booked a tour through them. Jorge even checked back with us the night before, making sure everything was okay. No, Jorge doesn't pick you up personally and it isn't their boat. But we were picked up at the hotel, brought to Puerto Juarez from where the mainland boats go out, checked in and informed, then boarded one of the 33-foot boats with ten snorkelers, a captain and a guide.

The ride out to the whale sharks took us past the northern tip of Isla Mujeres. The ride took about an hour over somewhat choppy seas, so those prone to sea sickness should prep themselves.

We arrived at a spot where about 40 boats and what must have been well over 100 whale sharks congregated. The boat provides lifevests, fins, masks and snorkels (we brought our own gear). Two snorkelers per boat can be in the water at the same time. That sounds limiting, but it wasn't, as snorkelers went in and came back all the time.

The whale sharks swim shallow and slow enough for snorkelers to keep pace (for a while) or even pass them. They seem neither afraid of nor drawn to people, they simply do their own thing. The experience of swimming with those giants is awesome.

The boats stayed for about two hours, then we returned, with a stop at a shallow reef at the north of Isa Mujeres for snorkeling, snacks and drinks (sodas, beer).

We liked it so much that we emailed Scorpio and booked another trip for the last day of our vacation. Martha at Caribbean Connection (which seems to have the boats, or at least organize things on location) was thrilled to have us back as repeat customers. The second trip was different as the sea was smooth as glass, the viz even better, and the boats more spread out.

Oh, and if you bring your own wetsuit, the captain may let you snorkel without life vest and on your own. We were in the water practically the whole two hours.

So, great experience. Though I never once met them, Scorpio Divers did a great job for us. They were communicative, informative, kept in touch, and stayed on top of things.

cancun_riu_ws3_500.jpg

That sounds awesome. We are going to Cancun in Sept and I am so bummed :( that it is 1 day after the last day you can swim with them this year. I wish I had known before I booked the trip.

If I can ask, where did you stay and how did you get from your hotel to the dock?

Thanks!:D
Katrina

That is a bummer as the whale sharks are an incredible experience.

We stayed at the Riu Palace Las Americas, a terrific, gorgeous all-inclusive. The whale shark trip we booked through Scorpio Divers included getting picked up at our hotel by an airconditioned van, then brought back to the hotel after the trip.

That sounds awesome. We are going to Cancun in Sept and I am so bummed :( that it is 1 day after the last day you can swim with them this year. I wish I had known before I booked the trip.

If I can ask, where did you stay and how did you get from your hotel to the dock?

Thanks!:D
Katrina

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom