i tried to fly out today and i ended up being bent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Often times dive profiles/procedures/physical abnormalities can be reasonably linked to DCS. However, might I also suggest that DCS happens to individuals simply because they are just that....individuals?:D

Often times dive profiles/procedures/physical abnormalities can be reasonably linked to DCS. However, might I also suggest that DCS happens to individuals simply because they are just that....individuals?:D

that is kind of the larger point about PFOs. could be other shunts as well, or still unknown individual variability.

the OP should be a lot more careful in the future than the average recommendations, since they're probably very far from average in their individual susceptibility to DCS risk.

people are different, you may just be (a bit or much) more prone to DCS than the avarage + the margin the dive tables and computers
and time to fly limits are designed after..
this is offcourse bad when your hobby is diving, and specially when it is deep and wreck.
you need to add alot more margin to your style of diving,
double the accent time,
double the surface wait,
shorten the bottom time,
48hrs no dive before fly,
get nitrox certified, use 1.4 PP (NOT the max 1.6 PP many uses)
if you plan to go deeper and longer in the future, think about trimix and tek courses.
and get well :)
I hope the champer and flight return did not cost you a big deal ?
are you well insured ?

Thanks I plan on doing all that one thing I will say wreck diving takes longer 2 dives to 100 wasn't in my plan when I made the resevation they told me we would do the wreck then a reef, but when we got to the wreck the water was super clear which accroding to them it hadn't been since Irene came though everyone was happy to do the 2nd dip on the wreck again. I could have spoken up at that point and told them hey I'm going to be flying tomorrow ill sit this one out on the deck. I let them know what happend, but I also told them it was my fault they got me back to the dock with no problems I had no symtoms of DSC that whole day. I'm just really lucky being my DSC was the more serious type nurological type 2 which can cause paralisysy and death. The kind that is most common in the joints is less life thretning I knew just had to get that plane down if I had waited any longer could have been a lot worse. I have Dan insurance just the lowest one 45k lifetime but it's only a secondarly insurance so my primary though my work will probably cover it ill have some kind of copay lucky for me I selected the best my work could offer in january because I just got done with a knee issue last year and that costed me about 3500 in co pays. I think they total bill will be about 80k the helo ride to the hospital from the airport is 25k alone. The medic at the terminal was like okay what do you want to do it's going to cost a lot I said, " do what ever I don't care if it cost me 100k".

Thank you for posting, and I hope you make a complete recovery. As I was reading what happened to you, I was cringing at the memory of the day I did two 115 ft. dives only a few hours apart several years ago. Luckily, there were no consequences.

Your experience, and the 80k price-tag that went along with it, is going to make me a lot more careful in the future.

Thank you for your posts, Kell. I'm glad to hear that you are doing better.

OP, I think you were desperately unlucky.

OK, I am being unfair: I am hoping you were desperately unlucky. I am a self-confessed envelope pusher on the flying-after diving thing, but I would have thought that profile sounded perfectly safe on anyone's scale to me.

Lots of helpful suggestions put forward so far as to aggravating factors - I find myself wondering if there might not have been more than one aggravating factor working in tandem.

But whatever way you dice it, to get a full on hit 22 hours later sounds pretty darned unlucky.

I checked and according to DAN 2% of cases have onset times between 24 and 48 hours. He is pretty lucky.

Just got done with 2nd chamber dive ill post more about what they said they don't think it was pfo. I was riding the edge and the fast asent in the jet plane triggered it.

How do you know you do not have a PFO? Ascending to 8000 feet above sea level is like changing depth by 9 feet of sea water. Or at least sort of since you are saturated for 1 atmosphere before you start and are usually not saturated a depth during a dive. In any case the ascent to altitude should drive at most something like a third of a liter of nitrogen out of solution which should not be enough to bend a typical person. There is some way that you are atypical.

Back
Top Bottom