My first solo dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fox

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, everyone. I've enjoyed the discussions here on Scubaboard for years but I'm new to posting.

What brings me here is that I just had a pretty interesting experience on my first solo dive. It was a very conservative dive, and I'm not going to pretend it was anything but. Although I recognize that it wasn't the safest thing to do, I'm glad I did it. Overall it was a positive growth experience. I wrote a long blog post about why I did it and what I was thinking. It's probably too long to clutter up this forum with, so here's a link:

My First Solo Dive | Tod.FM

Tod

It was a very conservative dive, and I'm not going to pretend it was anything but.

Not really. Conservative diving tends to be used in reference to diving within the limits of your training and experience. Were you trained or experienced for this? No. Therefore it was FAR from a conservative dive.

Although I recognize that it wasn't the safest thing to do, I'm glad I did it.

It wasn't the safest thing to do. Nothing went wrong, so you had an enjoyable experience. The tricky thing now is not to gain a sense of complacency about it, or to start thinking that every dive will go equally as well.

Your capability is judged when things go wrong, not when everything goes right. That's a key issue with solo diving - because when things go wrong you've got to have the skill, knowledge and capability to deal with them by yourself.

Sooner, or later, you're capabilities and preparation will be tested. Only luck will save you - as it did on the dive you describe.

Don't kid yourself that you are a 'solo diver'. You go into the ocean alone, unprepared and unknowing of the dangers. THAT isn't solo diving. YOU aren't a solo diver... not in experience, not in training and not in mindset.

Diving by luck isn't clever. Whether you realise it or not, that is what you are doing.

Personally, I don't know why you bothered with doing an OW course - if you're just going to go straight out and disregard what you were taught. Could have saved yourself a few hundred bucks..

You acknowledge the dangers in what you did - but really, all you succeeded in doing was turning a very safe activity into a dangerous one. You'll get no applause from me for doing that.

I agree with you, I am not a "solo diver." I explicitly chose not to call myself that or have that badge appear on my profile here. I made this one solo dive and I wrote about what it was like. I wrote about what it felt like to be alone underwater, and that it was both bad and good. To be honest, it sounds like you didn't read my post but are simply commenting on the fact of my diving solo. I apologize in advance if I'm wrong.

You acknowledge the dangers in what you did - but really, all you succeeded in doing was turning a very safe activity into a dangerous one. You'll get no applause from me for doing that.

I don't believe diving is "very safe," buddy or not. Besides, I don't have a buddy. None of my friends are the least bit interested. So am I better off diving with a complete stranger? The last time I was in the water, I got paired with a guy who -- let me try to say this nicely -- wasn't very focused. For all practical purposes, I was on my own. Another one knocked me in the head with his fin.

Of course, I'd love to find and dive with a good buddy. Even then, I could imagine occasionally wanting the feeling of being alone in the water. It would be dishonest to pretend I didn't enjoy the experience. Now is that something I have to struggle with that others don't, to want something that is pleasurable but dangerous? Maybe so. But I just wrote about what it was like.

I can't accept the view that solo diving is "wrong" but buddy diving is "right." A lot of people would think that any diving, ever, is too risky. I may never solo dive again, but to me there is no morality involved.

Diving by luck isn't clever. Whether you realise it or not, that is what you are doing.

You're right about luck. I was lucky that buddy didn't knock the regulator out of my mouth when he kicked me! Your statement implies that following all the rules is not "diving by luck," but I'm pretty sure that's not true. Accidents happen even to the experienced. You can follow all the rules to the letter and get bent. Etc.

Personally, I don't know why you bothered with doing an OW course - if you're just going to go straight out and disregard what you were taught. Could have saved yourself a few hundred bucks..

I value what I was taught, but I don't consider it beyond question or revision. Ultimately, even those who follow what they were taught have to make their own judgements.

I won't beat you up, but the biggest roadblock (which in reality is just a speed bump), you mention was access to a buddy. Lucky you found yourself here on ScubaBoard...perfect place to find a buddy near you, with enough experience to keep from kicking your mask off.

If you choose to continue with this path (hard to tell if you will or not), I truly hope you are the only one that gets hurt if you die. No family, friends, loved ones? Many of your comments suggest that you could use a great deal more experience (classes if necessary, with buddies otherwise) and knowledge for diving in general so that you be safer, more confident, and more knowledgeable in the water.

I don't believe diving is "very safe," buddy or not.

But it is safe. Very safe. Both statistically...and practically... in terms of equipment, training and appropriate procedures.

The buddy system, in particular, offers complete redundancy and support to the scuba diver. This serves to mitigate virtually every risk that can be encountered on a recreational dive.

Besides, I don't have a buddy.

So, you're faced with the option of finding one That's what 99.9% of divers do.

What you're saying, is that you place convenience before safety.

"I don't have a crash helmet / eye-protection / condom / insurance / safety harness / seat-belt etcetc... but I'll do it anyway"

So am I better off diving with a complete stranger?

Well, that's what most of us do on a regular basis.

I work as a dive pro - so virtually ALL of my dives are done with complete strangers, and I have little/no say in who I dive with.

However, I have the skill, experience and training to ensure that all those dives go safely and that proper buddy procedures are adhered to.

If you cannot dive safely with a stranger, what makes you think that you're competent to dive alone?
Solo diving demands more skill and experience than buddy diving.

The last time I was in the water, I got paired with a guy who -- let me try to say this nicely -- wasn't very focused. For all practical purposes, I was on my own. Another one knocked me in the head with his fin.

Yeah... that's just pish-pash newbie diver stuff. If you got hit on the head with a fin, then you're equally to blame. His foot. Your head. Which one of you really should have seen that coming and avoided it? (hint: he hasn't got eyes in his foot...)

What did you do about your 'unfocused' dive buddy? Did you apply your training? Did you have the experience to know how to handle him...to support and anticipate him? How to get the best from him by setting up the right circumstances through proper dive planning, briefing and communication?

It's funny how experienced divers rarely have problems like this. They can fix problems and deal with issues. Inexperienced divers cannot.

Again, if you're not competent to deal with minor issues like these, then what makes you feel qualified to dive alone?

I could imagine occasionally wanting the feeling of being alone in the water. It would be dishonest to pretend I didn't enjoy the experience.

I'm sure there's lots of things you would enjoy.

Snoozing in your drivers' seat whilst cruising down an expressway at 70kmph might be enjoyable... would you do that occasionally too?

You enjoyed it because nothing went wrong. That's what I warned you of in my first post. It's an illusion. Trust me... you won't enjoy it when inevitably you encounter a problem that you cannot deal with...

I can't accept the view that solo diving is "wrong" but buddy diving is "right."

Everyone has the right to an opinion.

However, not everyone has an educated opinion.

btw... did you make your opinions known when you were taking your OW course? Or when you signed and agreed to abide by the 'Safe Diving Practices' form at your graduation from the course?

The discussion isn't about whether solo diving is wrong or right... it is about whether unqualified/untrained/inexperience divers should dive alone.

As I said, you are a very long way from being a 'solo diver'.

A lot of people would think that any diving, ever, is too risky.

Very, very few of them would be trained divers. None of them would be professionals in the dive industry.

Diving is an incredibly safe activity.

It only becomes dangerous when people do stupid things, especially diving beyond the limits of their training and experience. That's why I am seeking to give you some feedback on your 'experiences'.

You're right about luck. I was lucky that buddy didn't knock the regulator out of my mouth when he kicked me!

So? You're trained for that. Scuba101 - Regulator Remove & Replace.

The OW course anticipates those sorts of events...and provides you with the skills to deal with them. Hence...safety.

However, the OW course does not anticipate the sort of issues that can arise whilst solo diving. So it doesn't provide you with those skills, that knowledge or that training. It doesn't claim to train solo divers. It doesn't try to train solo divers. It just advises you not to solo dive. That is very prudent advice - based on a profound understanding of the capabilities and skills that they have provided you with - and the ones they know they have not provided you with.

Your statement implies that following all the rules is not "diving by luck," but I'm pretty sure that's not true. Accidents happen even to the experienced. You can follow all the rules to the letter and get bent. Etc.

There's a difference between an 'accident' and an 'incident'. An 'incident' is where something goes wrong. An 'accident' is where that incident isn't dealt with...and someone gets hurt.[/QUOTE]

Incidents can happen. Accidents can be prevented.

I've done nearly 5000 dives in 20 years. I've never had an accident. I've faced lots of problems/incidents - but (because I dived in my limits) I had the training, knowledge and experience to deal with them.

"Diving by luck" is where you are incapable of dealing with an incident. If an incident happens, you are unlikely to prevent it becoming an accident.

"Diving by skill" is where you know you are capable of dealing with any incident that may arise... and you won't have an accident

You can follow all the rules to the letter and get bent. Etc.

DCI is an entirely different discussion. Besides which, most 'unattributed' DCI hits do have a root cause... they just aren't sufficiently 'proveable' for medical confirmation. The science, the medicine and the treatment aren't that exact. For instance, the existence of PFO is a major factor in DCI cases that are otherwise 'perfect dives' - but even that DCI is avoidable/preventable if you want it to be.

I value what I was taught, but I don't consider it beyond question or revision.

I understand that sentiment - and I agree with it.

However, I am stunned that you feel sufficiently experienced, knowledgeable or trained to question or revise the recommendations of the dive community.

No offence intended.... but really..... :idk:

Ultimately, even those who follow what they were taught have to make their own judgements.

Can you provide a reference to that in your OW course materials?

Here's my reference, which really illustrates where PADI don't think your judgement is required... and which they insist you sign and agree to as part of your qualification:

PADI Statement of Safe Diving Practices:

Be familiar with my dive sites. If not, obtain a formal diving orientation from a knowledgeable, local source. If diving conditions are worse than those in which I am experienced, postpone diving or select an alternate site with better conditions. Engage only in diving activities consistent with my training and experience. Do not engage in cave or technical diving unless specifically trained to do so.

Listen carefully to dive briefings and directions and respect the advice of those supervising my diving activities. Recognize that additional training is recommended for participation in speciality diving activities, in other geographic areas and after periods of inactivity that exceed six months.

5. Adhere to the buddy system throughout every dive. Plan dives – including communications, procedures for reuniting in case of separation and emergency procedures – with my buddy.

And of course this one.... which you signed and agreed to when you did your training....

I have read the above statements and have had any questions answered to my satisfaction. I understand the importance and purposes of these established practices. I recognize they are for my own safety and well-being, and that failure to adhere to them can place me in jeopardy when diving.

Just noticed your status devon - you wouldn't like being in the land of clotted cream today wet with force 8's in the Channel:-(

but seriously i read the blog & it scared me. I solo dive, i buddy dive, i enjoy both, but i've also been insituations i really didn't like and just wanted to head to the surface as fast as possible. This is where training & experience take over, you know what to do because you've practised for something similar, you've discussed incidents with friends, you've played the games with instructors and you are in an environment with which you are very familiar so you deal with it and surface before you planned to but in a safe manner.

3 weeks ago i watched a display by our wonderful Red Arrows ( Red Arrows - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - you can't get their official site at the moment) they are all solo pilots and following that display one crashed, probably because of a birdstrike, the pilot was killed but remained in his plane to make sure it didn't crash on a populated area. That's what it takes to do things solo.

I won't mention any names (they know who they are) come here just to flame solo divers. I recommend you get more experience with a buddy before
really venturing out solo. Practice in a confined area that you feel safe in and hone your diving skills. Get comfortable in the water, this includes
using your equipment and making sure you know what to do in case of an emergency. Get a redundant air source! I assume from your location you
are near a quarry. If possible, practice at White Star. Rich can help set you up with a buddy until you get more comfortable in the water. Don't be
discouraged with diving solo, but don't rush it either. Only YOU will know when you are truly ready. Don't be scared off by those that come here
only to intimidate.

Only YOU will know when you are truly ready.

Really? How so?

Goes back to the old cliché, you don't know what you don't know.

I won't mention any names (they know who they are) come here just to flame solo divers.

That's odd, because I can't see one single 'anti-solo diving' comment in this entire thread....and every participant thus far is a solo diver.

Yeah... that's just pish-pash newbie diver stuff. If you got hit on the head with a fin, then you're equally to blame. His foot. Your head. Which one of you really should have seen that coming and avoided it? (hint: he hasn't got eyes in his foot...)

And I don't have eyes in the back of my head. That's where the diver came from, behind me. HE was the one who wasn't paying attention, and even apologized for it later.

You enjoyed it because nothing went wrong. That's what I warned you of in my first post. It's an illusion. Trust me... you won't enjoy it when inevitably you encounter a problem that you cannot deal with.

I harbor no illusions. I always expect things to go wrong. I absolutely did NOT make this dive thinking "Ha ha, nothing went wrong, I must be a great diver." My thinking was "This is dangerous, but I accept the risk and do it anyway." My thoughts always focus on how little I know and how much I have to learn, even in areas where I am very experienced. I'm never overconfident.

So? You're trained for that. Scuba101 - Regulator Remove & Replace.

The OW course anticipates those sorts of events...and provides you with the skills to deal with them. Hence...safety.

I'm much more pessimistic. I don't believe that because you practiced something and passed a class means that you have the capability to do it. You could sail through the drills in class, then in real life, lose the regulator unexpectedly and start to panic and make bad choices. Just because you did it right in the class doesn't mean you'll perform it correctly when you need it!

It's not as simple as saying, "that was in the OW course... you're trained... hence safety." Personally, I am never satisfied with my skills. I practice them again and again, whether diving or flying. I'm known to plan for contingencies that are highly unlikely. Ultimately, it's my own "seal of approval" that I care about.

Can you provide a reference to that in your OW course materials?

No reference needed. It's a fact of life. You can have the best training in the world, a crisp clean certificate, and still make a bad judgement under mental stress. I believe strongly in training and self-training, but it's not a magic wand to me. I don't think 'He has an OW card, therefore he can perform X, Y, and Z because that was part of the course'.

I've done nearly 5000 dives in 20 years. I've never had an accident. I've faced lots of problems/incidents - but (because I dived in my limits) I had the training, knowledge and experience to deal with them.

How is hovering along the surface at about 10 feet outside of my training? How is descending a line to a training platform at 20 feet, looking around, and surfacing beyond my training? Except for the fact that I was alone, none of this is remarkable. How about if I hopped into an empty pool, free of obstructions or entanglements, and just hung out on the bottom for a few hours? Given the environment, I would say that's far safer than a buddy dive in an area with entanglements, deeper water, and other hazards.

The discussion isn't about whether solo diving is wrong or right... it is about whether unqualified/untrained/inexperience divers should dive alone.

And I'm not arguing whether they should. I simply stated that I did.

I work as a dive pro - so virtually ALL of my dives are done with complete strangers, and I have little/no say in who I dive with.

I'm glad you enjoy your work, I really am -- but that would be hell to me.

What did you do about your 'unfocused' dive buddy? Did you apply your training? Did you have the experience to know how to handle him...to support and anticipate him? How to get the best from him by setting up the right circumstances through proper dive planning, briefing and communication?

If diving meant managing another person like that, I would have no interest in doing it. This is something I want to do for my own personal enjoyment, whether I have a good buddy or a not so good buddy, or no buddy at all. Supporting somebody who can't support himself is not my idea of fun. I am not a team player and I certainly don't join them. That, however, does NOT mean I would ever default on my obligations if I had a buddy. It just means that in all areas of my life, I prefer to go it alone when I can.

Also, I have different objectives than the typical buddy might. I like to hover in the water and just be there. I don't personally care about seeing fish or sunken objects (not that there's anything wrong with that). I've done it, and it doesn't interest me. So I would have to find a buddy who also wants to just hover in the water and enjoy himself that way.

jester1226, Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm surprised at the reactions when you consider how little I actually did. My solo dive consisted of hovering at 10 feet, practicing skills for about half an hour, then going up, swimming over to a buoy, and descending to a training platform at 20 feet for a few minutes. I'm really not the type to be overconfident -- so I don't want to sound arrogant -- but I am confident that I am reasonably safe underwater in a familiar environment (no entanglements, etc), sitting on the bottom at 10 feet, alone. That's basically what a pool is.

I wouldn't even consider doing anything beyond that at this point. I'm well aware of my limitations.

I'm still looking for a buddy, but I'm really not comfortable with strangers yet. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I'm sure the other commenters here just want me to see the light of reason and be safe. And I actually appreciate their taking the time to dissect my comments. But it's clear that we have different ideas about what is a reasonable risk to take. Even if I had no intentions of diving solo, I am not the type to reflexively say "You're not diving the accepted way? Shame on you!"

Seriously, are all divers extroverts or something? Imagine if you always had to have a buddy with you, even in a pool in your backyard. That would be terrible!

People have sailed the ocean solo, alone for months at a time... soloed in balloons around (or nearly around) the world... not that I would ever, ever compare myself to them... but some people just don't get what's so great (and scary and exhilarating and fulfilling) about solitude. I got a little taste of it. I think it has its merits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom