Adjustable breathing reg: worth it or a hassle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As indicated above, in most cases a cracking/inhalation effort adjustment knob does not add any complexity, it just adds a diver adjustable knob on to the already existing spring pressure adjustment.

In other cases, the "adjustment" does not address cracking effort at all but rather just adjusts the venturi effect of the reg. That also adds very little exta complexity, but is also less useful. Some regs have both adjustments.

The biggest issue I see with adjustabel regs coming in for service is a stock adjustment knob, and in most cases that is caused by a lack of rinsing the reg after salt water dives. I normally lube the threads heavily, but that still can't compete with excessive amounts of sand and salt with no rinsing.

The other major issue is that a diver may crank the spring inhalation effort adjustment knob all the way in and then leave it there while the reg is in storage. That greatly increases the spring pressure on the seat and accellerates the development of an excessively deep seating groove. You'll get longer seat life if you screw the knob as far out as possible when the reg is not being used.

I have both Adjustable and non-adjustable regs. My preference is adjustable, although both have served me well. I agree that you should rent the model you want or try a friend's reg. They cost a bit more, I like the option. As you go deeper, you can adjust your reg to be a very easy breather. The first adjustable reg I used was a R109, it helped that reg to perform better than the non-adjustable regs I had.

This is a personal choice. As you adjust the reg to breath easier, the reg will become more likely to free-flow. Never a problem since the reg is typically in my mouth.

Happy Shopping!!

XTX200 adjustable works great for me. At shallower depths you can have it turned down all the way and make minor adjustments at deeper depths if needed. Ease of breathing at any depth. Simple design, quality.

Good answers already, but one more opinion can't hurt :D

I own both adjustable and non-adjustable regs. I find myself using the adustable 2nds most often these days, even though I'm very much a "less is more" kind of guy. I can tune my adjustable 2nds just a hair closer to freeflow than I can tune my non-adjustable classic downstream regs (which have no external adjustments at all).

Reliability has been similar between both types, but I rinse then overnight-soak all my regs after each ocean dive day.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom