Scuabamau diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are my first! They mean the world to me. I appreciate you letting us know what is going on. Trying to find out on FB, this is crazy and I am praying fervently for them.

This is what I found on Facebook.

Heath Hood said -
To all my friends i was involved in a severe dive accident on Sat. with 2 very good friends Opal and Gabi. All three of us are in the hospital with the bends and are having to go through the decompression chamber 2X a day. All though i cant walk without assistance right now i will get better !! please pray for my friends Opal Torelli and Gabi as both of them are paralyzed and in worse shape than i am and they need your prayers more than i do. I hope to god we all come out of this all right.

Last edited:
Please feel free to discuss the various topics of deep/decompression diving in this forum: Technical Diving Specialties NOT HERE!

By the way Opal woke up in the chamber and wanted her tubes out. typical. so lots of hope.
Great news.

Opal is still in a coma. She did partially (or fully) open her eyes twice that I know of today, but 'movement' has been said to be 'nerves'. I just wanted to clarify before folks start thinking she's awake.
Thanks for adding some perspective. Keep the updates coming.

Still sending good vibes and hopes for a positive recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
A family member on Couzmel will try to post later today with updates on Opal's condition.

A family member also did express thanks to everyone for their thoughts, prayers and well wishes and keep them coming please.

Please keep this thread to this topic.

Last edited:
Ok. this is going to tear me up writing this. I was told that Opal has C2 damage that is irreversible. She is paralyzed and cannot breath on her own. They are continuing with chamber treatment. The prognosis is dire. The short future is not known right now.
Gabi has not regained feeling.
Heath is doing assisted walking.

The doctors at the chamber are and have been amazing. They have been relating this accident to other doctors for their opinions. A great thing to do this. My hat is off to the doctors and nurses that are involved in this fight.

Opals' family have a decision of their lives right now, my heart is with them and I pray they feel confident in what ever they decide.

This was not a dive trip with clients, this I want everyone to know. It was a dive for pleasure among the staff and a friend.

FOR NOW PLEASE DO NOT POST CAUSE AND EFFECT STATEMENTS, A THREAD WILL BE STARTED SOON ABOUT THE INCIDENT. THIS THREAD IS FOR CONDOLENCE AND PRAYER AND INFO OF THE HURT DIVERS. THANKS KEVIN.

Hey Kevin, my heart goes out to Opal and Mau, and Gabi and the other diver. And you as well.

kari

Like so many, I've been reading here and hoping for Opal to improve, as well as Gabi and their friend. I am greatly saddened to hear Opal's condition is so severe. My thoughts are with them, their families & friends.

We've been diving with them, and I keep checking here hoping for some good news. That sure wasn't it. They are in my thoughts, and I'm still hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom