Dive computers - what is Air integrated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it means that the computer will monitor your tank pressure and make calculations based on this information. Your high pressure hose will connect directly to the computer or a wireless link will be used.

My Open Water Instructor had a similar computer, on his wrist, with the sending unit on his first stage. The sender (transmitter?) sampled the tank pressure and relayed that to his computer on his wrist.

So it showed him everything my rental gauges and watch had: time, depth, remaining tank pressure. We got to compare readings at depth (50 feet) to see how accurate our depth gauges were.

It looked very cool. And from what little I know, your link is a great price!

Later,
Dory

As explained by Dory and Dsix36 , it's a computer with a transmitter unit that is connected to the high pressure port of your first stage , the transmitter is a sensor that sends wireless signal to the dive computer with the tank pressure.
It is advised that if you decided to go with the transmitter to add a normal console just in case of any glitch from the electronic devices or a battery low case :) , To do that your regulator must have 2 high pressure ports.

I hope this helps you
Regards,
Nomro

To clarify on nomro's response, if you go with a hoseless computer, all you need is an SPG. Some say you should have a console in case the watch fails. Well, that would be no different than someone using a Cobra having it fail and they rarely (if ever) use an SPG.

I love my hoseless computer. If the transmitter fails, it will continue to show me depth, dive time and ascent rates....everything I need to safely surface. My SPG continues to show me how much air I have. If the watch portion fails, I will still know how much air I have (via SPG), I'll signal my buddy of the failure and he/she will control the ascent and time the safety stop. Of course, I also have a back up computer in my pocket so that's unlikely to be necessary but even without the backup, not a major issue.

Air Integrated Computers or AI capable Computers don't require a diver to utilize a standard dial (analog) SPG because they monitor tank pressure and display it to the diver digitally on the computer itself.
Having an AI Computer will be just like any other computer with the exception that you get your Tank Pressure as a set of numbers (digital) instead of viewing it via a dial (analog).

Some AI computers will calculate your SAC rate on the fly and give you an estimate of how much air time you have at your current respiration rate.

To answer your question directly, the Oceanic ATOM 2.0 is a wireless (hoseless) AI computer. You wear the computer on your wrist. In order to utilize the AI feature you need to screw in the transmitter into the High Pressure Port on your reg's first stage. Since the computer is AI, your transmitter can take the place of your SPG or console hose.
When you turn your tank on you'll need to sync your computer to the transmitter on the first stage.
The manual will explain this all.

Now if you want my opinion of AI computers that's a different story.......

To clarify on nomro's response, if you go with a hoseless computer, all you need is an SPG. Some say you should have a console in case the watch fails. Well, that would be no different than someone using a Cobra having it fail and they rarely (if ever) use an SPG.

If you have the extra hose anyway, why not use it to hold an SPG and also perhaps a second computer? That way if your primary fails you don't need to abort.

Good question. Mainly (in my opinion) because an SPG can be had for $50. If your computer fails, you have what you need to safely get to the surface. Using the "extra computer" thought process might make sense if you have deco responsibilities but for recreational diving, simply ending one dive shouldn't be a big deal. Where would you draw the line? Why not carry 3 computers, 2 lift bags, 2 masks, etc, etc? On a smaller level of importance, an SPG is small and compact. Some don't like AI at all because it's another failure point. Well, my transmitter is screwed into the first stage and sealed with an o-ring. If it weren't there, it would be a plug that...guess what....is screwed into the first stage and sealed with an o-ring. Again, if the transmitter dies, I still have depth and dive time displayed and an SPG. If the watch battery dies....well, that could happen to a non-AI computer, too.

Occasionally, signal is lost but a simple move of the arm a couple inches and it picks it up again, some brands/models easier than most. I highly recommend doing significant homework when buying a computer and don't get too cheap....quality is key.

NOTE TO OP: Even with a computer you should learn to do your own gas planning.

I am the department of redundancy department. I carry my first computer in my console, along with an SPG. I also use a watch style AI computer... and I have two of those. So far, I don't wear them at the same time; that would just be silly. :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom