Need Help Guys and Gals! (wetsuit issues)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tomivy1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,
My name is Tom and I'm quite new around here. I'm taking my open water class (SSI) and getting ready to do my check dives. I thought I was all set and wasnt going to have any problems until I was thrown a curve ball. Apparently here in Michigan the waters are quite cold (duh), well the two piece 7mm wetsuit, gloves and hood I have to wear make performing my skills a whole new obstacle. After trying to practice last night in the LDS pool I found just being able to get under water a challenge in itself. The folks at the shop are very helpful, and like anything else I'm sure its just practicing something new. I was just wondering though if
anyone out there had any pointers or suggestions that might help. I think the biggest problem I was having after getting to the bottom of the pool was
staying there while trying to kneel and do my skills. My BC is weight integrated and when I tried to remove it I went up and it went down...... lol
All comments help, I love constructive advice!

Thanks
Tom

...split your weight up between your bcd and weight belt..
makes your rig much more managable,and trims you out better
and if you were to dump weight,it wouldn't be all or none
personally,i try to never put more than 14# on my belt-no sag on my mid section that way
remember to understand your briefing and to ask your questions BEFORE you don your hood!
makes life easier!!!
enjoy your class #1 priority!!
have fun
yaeg

Ditch the hood and gloves and add some weight for the test. You'll get it later after some dives.

I endorse all the comments above, except for the comment on the hood. If the water is colder than 64 degree, you will want it. You need much more weight with a 7 mil than no wet suit, or even a 3 mil. Also, the "remove and replace" skill is one of the more challenging ones, so be sure all air is out of the BC before you begin. Also, keep a good hold on it if any of your weight is in the bc pockets, so you remain neutral or negative.
You'll do fine. Welcome to our world!
DivemasterDennis scubasnobs.com

Also, when doing the ditch and don (remove and replace) underwater, try your hardest to get all of the air out of your BC, if you can sit down flat on the bottom of the pool and then take your rig off and hold it in your lap, that way you still have the weight to hold you down. I see that you're from Detroit. I used to live just south of Detroit, so I'm sure you will be diving the same quarries I dove while I lived in Mighigan. Except for the early and late season diving I usually wore a 3mm full with a 2mm hooded vest. I did weat the 2 piece 7mm farmer john when it was cols but I didn't wear it that often. You would probably be better with just a 7mm not a two piece for most of the season, or less. Any other questions, just shoot me a PM and I would be more than happy to answer them for you. Welcome to diving and welcome to scubaboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom