Soft Weights Confiscated by Airline?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had a kid today on my flight from Boston to Seattle get on board with a skate board. I guess it all depends on which TSA agent is at the gate as to what is considered a weapon. Go figure.

Here is my problem, I just bought some great gear in Northern California. I need to fly home in a few day. Part of the great deal I got included 38# of soft weights.

I got a great Akona Roller backpack bag I can check in, but I want to carry on my Zeagle ZX VI reg and the weights to keep the Akona under 50#.

Who has carried more than 2# of soft weights on board?

Thanks!:(

The airlines, however, do run TSA. Make no mistake about that.

Who gave you that piece of misinformation?

TSA is government run and they are in no way affiliated with any commercial air carriers.

FB-Florida Scuba Diver

...Who has carried more than 2# of soft weights on board?
I have several times, up to 16# for self and buddy. Never a big issue, although I had to explain what they were some of the time. Of course we were always flying to or from dive destinations.
I'll repeat my suggestion of flat rate priority mail, for your consideration. 38# should fit in two of the small boxes, and most definitely in one of the mediums. So for a bit over ten bucks, no hassle, no lugging a really heavy carry-on, and they get there quickly. It's almost like a USPS loophole.

Recently returned from Cozumel. They confiscated my less than 4oz tooth paste. Yes, if you are trying to maintain good dental health, you now fit the terrorist profile.

I haven't done any traveling with dive gear, but when I was in high school and I went to Germany and was taking my back pack as my carry-on and it got ran through the x-ray machine several times because of the notebooks in my back pack. The looks on the agents faces was priceless.

So I've had the opportunity to go diving out of the country, and I havent really ran into any issues with dive gear and security measures or customs. However, my parents just returned home from a trip to Catalina Island, and apparently their still-somewhat wet ankle weights were confiscated by the TSA in LAX because they thought they were bomb materials. While I can't blame TSA for doing this, I still find it curious because I've never had any problems with still-wet soft weights in airports before. It got me to thinking, have you experienced this? or perhaps what dive gear have you had confiscated by TSA?

Toga

It had nothing to due with the weights being wet. The TSA had no way of knowing they were full of lead. If they were full of the proper mixture of aluminum shavings and rust you would have the same compound as in a thermite grenade. If you knew how to ignite the mixture it would burn its way through the hull of the aircraft.

Back
Top Bottom