What have you seen underwater that you'll never forget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was recovering some fishing gear in the Chatahoochee River just north of Atlanta and had the pleasant surprise of seeing the delightful face of an otter checking me out for just a few seconds.

In the Bahamas I saw a Puffer fish the size of two basketballs. I tried like hell to catch him. He would have been the size of a VW bug puffed up.
I would also have to say the shark dive with Stuarts Cove was one of the most amazing experiences in my life. Diving off the boat with sharks circling it is just too much to describe.
Keep the stories coming...there have to be more....

the first halocline I ever saw, and the hydrogen sulphide layer in Angelita cenote.

(I dropped out of biology and took hydrology instead)

my favourite sites underwater? there are so so many and i ve only had 2 weeks worth of diving.

1. the first (and only) shark i ever saw. it was a small leopard off la jolla shores, maybe a couple feet long at most but tsill excellent

2. a huge huge sole/flounder also of la jolla. this thing was huge and we got really close and he wasnt bothered at all, just rolled his eyes a bit.

3. a bat ray swimming into the murk. my buddy just grabbed my attention to it as it was swimming away but i got to see this amazing outline just fade out.

4. on the only night dive the phosphoresence (sp?) was really cool. there wasnt much but just pushing your hand through the water and all thiese little dots glowing.

5. a turtle. not particularly big but they are so graceful. it hung about around just minding its own business then slwly just swam off.

6. a giant giant morray. its head was like the size of a football (although im english im refering to an american one here). and about 1.5 meteres of its body sticking out the hole. this thing looked mean.

7. an octopus crawling about. i saw acouple of them sitting on the rocks but one was walking about realy weird but they are amazing.

and just about everything else i have seen - all marine life is fascinating but theses are some of the best!!

I was at Pescador Island in Moalboal, Cebu-Philippines, when I saw a lizard fish with a black and white angel fish in its mouth. The poor angel fish's mouth was partially hanging out of the lizard fish's mouth, still breathing, with a look of complete and utter terror. My boyfriend called me over to look at some other fish, and when I came back to the lizard fish, the angel fish had been digested.

I also saw a Thresher Shark at Monad Shoal and Pygmy Seahorses (including a pregnant one) at Gato Island.

Humpback whale under water, 13 March 2003, Rabbi's Reef, Kona, HI.

While diving the wall out of LaJolla Shores in California - 35' Grey whale went right over the top of me. could have reached up and touched it...could feel the turbulence from its passing. Popped the regulator right out of my mouth.

Let's see: my first shark (a hammerhead in Ras Mohamed near Sharm el Sheikh), my first octopus, my first manta ray (from far away but I had confirmation it was one from the guide), my first porcupine who doesn't inflate (in fact it's a she and she's quite tame).

I still miss dolphins and whale sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom