New diver going on Eastern Caribbean Cruise in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/classifieds-photography/349234-olympus-pt-029-housing-stylus-600-camera.html

I bought one (not this exact one, but the same model) of these off ebay for about $150 for our trip. It is a 6.0 megapixel with 3 underwater modes to choose from so it's a pretty decent setup and not TOO expensive. I figured it would pay for itself by not buying any scuba pics from the excursions. They have lots of setups of older models with model specific housing that you can pick up pretty reasonable.

If you decide to get a camera, let me share some advice. I got a little overwhelmed a time or two while trying to do too many things at once. Being a novice diver and trying to be an expert camera man was just too much for me. I'm not saying taking a camera is a bad thing for a novice diver, just recommending taking pics when you can, but not trying to be a Jacques Costeau (sp). I'm glad I took a camera, but there were times when I shouldn't have been taking pictures, if that makes any sense. I should have taken 3-4 pics/dive and focused on the dive 99% of the time.

9u12bk.jpg

s6hn4i.jpg

Here's a link to some of my pics.

sparkinatorST's photos and albums on webshots

After uploading my pics to webshots, I got to playing with them on a photoshop like software program and got the colors a lot better than those. I really need to upload some better versions of them.

Last edited:
Thanks!

After thinking about it a bit, as much as I want to take some pictures I am starting to think I might be better off just diving on this trip. Dont want to be the guy who cant control his boyancy and do something to the reef.

Second vote for Admiralty in St Thomas here. During the summer many of them go on vacation, so may be easier to drop them an e-mail. Duane and his wife Laura are normally very responsive.

Agree with Sparky 100%. If you do get one, recommend you "buddy team" (buddy helps monitor your control) or kneel in the sand. Sounds like you are going to make a great diver, if you already are aware of your limits!

I was going to set up a dive with Stuart Cove's last January when I was on a cruise on RCL Oasis of the Seas. Stuart Cove's wouldn't let me book separately as they were contractually obligated to provide the diving to the cruise line. As things worked out, the dive was cancelled because they didn't have enough people signed up. I was really bummed. I was looking forward to that dive.

I am going on the Allure of the Seas through the Eastern Caribbean in October and was wondering how you find a dive trip to go on. I am a new diver that was just OW certified so I am not looking for anything to extreme, but would like to dive a couple times durring the cruise.

We are going to Nassau, St Thomas, and St Maarten durring the trip. What is the best way to get a nice dive or two in.

Thanks!

For Sint Maarten, I recommend Ocean Explorers. A really well run operation. We usually stay a week at a time, so you'll need to contact them by email to see if they'll pick you up at the pier. If not, it's a short ride, less than 10 min, depending on traffic.

Even though I've never used their equipment, it appears to be well maintained.

Cruising/diving brings a unique set of problems to any vacation, but Sint. Maarten is very doable.

There are some old pictures under my profile of a shark feed they do on Fridays. Click on the left that says photos.

This should be their contact information.

Luciana de Lima
Ocean Explorers Dive Center
Simpson Bay beach
St Maarten N.A.
011 599 544 5252 ph/fax
skype name: luejef
divesm@caribserve.net
Ocean Explorers Dive Center - Scuba Diving in St Maarten / St Martin Best Dives

I'm doing the same itinerary on the Oasis of the Seas in October. I'm a well-seasoned cruiser and I dive every trip on Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

I've never had a bad experience using the cruise ship's on-board dive shore excursions.

I base this opinion in comparison to hundreds of dives in many countries, from the shore, 6-packers, cattle boats and plush live-a-boards.

I certainly understand wanting to seek out smaller boats, and more personal service, but I just want you to know you can book on the ship and feel confident it will not be money wasted.

I've encountered the diving "that guy" in all sorts of diving situations, and cruise ships don't up the chances anymore than any other venue. Heck, I may have been "that guy" once or twice. :dork2:And as far as cruise ship offered dive trips, the boats, DMs have all been acceptable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom