Using TTL converter or Fiber optic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoyN

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I have the Canon T1i and two Z240 inon strobe. I was wondering would using the TTL converter be good or using the fiber optics? I was looking at this website Guide to Underwater Photography | Underwater Photography Guide and saw he had the inon strobe connected to a sea & sea converter. I tried it at home and even though the converter says only works with YS-250pro, low and behold, it works just fine. Any suggestion would be grateful. Thanks.

The main advantage of going wired (TTL converter) is faster recycling time between shots and longer battery life as you are not waiting for your in built flash to recycle between shots, which can be slower than your strobe recycle time.

Advantages of fibre optic are that it is lighter and will not leak unlike electrical cables. Also they are cheaper if you don't already have the TTL converter. However, it sounds like you have the TTL converter already.

Most of the Sea & Sea TTL converters will work fine with the Inon Z240 strobes. I use one without any issue and get proper TTL metering.

If you get TTL via a fiber optic cable using a camera with a fast flash-recycle time and long battery life - e.g. a high-end dSLR, I'd go that route. But the flash recycle time can be quite slow on the Canon T1i/T2i/T3i, I'd suggest the electrical route.

I've been shooting the Nikon D7000 in my Sea & Sea housing with fiber optic cables (using manual strobe power) and really liking it. - Scott

Probably go with the TTL converter?

Reading your first post it sounds like you already own the TTL converter and sync cables. If you do then you might as well go electrical. If you don't own them yet, you could try fibre optic as the cables can be made yourself or bought cheaper than electrical sync cables. If you're finding the recycling time too slow with fibre optics then consider changing to electrical.

Dont fear shooting manual. I am no pro but I learn more about my system in manual. You can even trick the sensor to create shadow or darker "eerie" images. Or to "over expose" clear subject like moon jellies. You have a screen on the back to tell you what you are getting and you can adjust to what you want.
Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom