Scuabamau diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, too, am sure he and others meant well. On the other hand, when there are mass emails going out that say the following:

"...I am sending this out to not only let you all know of the need for assistance BUT the dangers of downwelling. I had never thought about it much until I read this this morning.

If you want to help our fellow divers, you can. The circumstances of the accident are very eye opening either way"​

a potentially harmful myth is being perpetuated.

There is nothing wrong with an appeal for help for the injured. but there is no need to add incorrect and harmful information to that appeal.
I must have missed something in an earlier post, because you either know, or claim to know more details about the accident than I do? Either way, it's getting old hearing people nit picking on here. Please show some respect for those that are suffering, no matter how it happened.

To Opal, Gabi and Heath, we're still praying for you. :)

I must have missed something in an earlier post, because you either know, or claim to know more details about the accident than I do? Either way, it's getting old hearing people nit picking on here. Please show some respect for those that are suffering, no matter how it happened.

To Opal, Gabi and Heath, we're still praying for you. :)
It's easy to know these things. All you have to do is read the earlier posts in this thread. That would include the one in which Gabi tells what happened--how he went to 400 feet to get Opal when she was narced and did not stop at the planned depth.

There is also another thread in the accidents and Incidents forum that has pretty fully fleshed out the details. There is no secret knowledge and no guessing.

It's easy to know these things. All you have to do is read the earlier posts in this thread. That would include the one in which Gabi tells what happened--how he went to 400 feet to get Opal when she was narced and did not stop at the planned depth.

There is also another thread in the accidents and Incidents forum that has pretty fully fleshed out the details. There is no secret knowledge and no guessing.
I read everything including Gabi's letter and I'm having a hard time understanding why you still feel the need to be pointing fingers in this thread.

Please let it return to it's intended purpose.

I think B-John just wants to prevent the misconception that down currents can pus a person down to 300 feet or more. That was suggested early here, but turned out not to be true - yet that story is still being spread as in the mass emailing above.

I read everything including Gabi's letter and I'm having a hard time understanding why you still feel the need to be pointing fingers in this thread.

Please let it return to it's intended purpose.

I'm guessing it's to discourage other people from doing astonishingly risky dives with insufficient gas.

flots.

I think B-John just wants to prevent the misconception that down currents can pus a person down to 300 feet or more. That was suggested early here, but turned out not to be true - yet that story is still being spread as in the mass emailing above.
I don't want to add to the already unneccessary speculation, at least at this time while our friends are still suffering, but I don't recall reading anywhere on this forum or on facebook where anyone involved said the only contributing factor in them ending up so deep was a downwell. If one is already on a really deep bounce dive when caught in a downwell, I can easily see that happening. Not saying this is what happened, but it's a possibility. To me it sounds like a lot of things came together to cause this.

I don't want to add to the already unneccessary speculation, at least at this time while our friends are still suffering, but I don't recall reading anywhere on this forum or on facebook where anyone involved said the only contributing factor in them ending up so deep was a downwell. If one is already on a really deep bounce dive when caught in a downwell, I can easily see that happening. Not saying this is what happened, but it's a possibility. To me it sounds like a lot of things came together to cause this.

I don't want to come off like a heartless bastard, but somebody has to say it: "There's no way this dive could ever have gone so badly for so many people if it wasn't planned and executed as a bad dive from the start." There is not a down-welling in the world that will take three experienced divers from recreational depths to 400' with no chance of escape, and implying that the victims were overtaken by some random, invisible, unavoidable, overwhelming force does SCUBA diving a huge disservice.

This is a sad outcome, but unfortunately not a complete surprise.

flots.

Last edited:
I think I said this once before, in one of the other threads on this accident:

Please cut the personal bs children. Take your petty arguments outside, please.
No matter what you may think, this thread is not all about your egos

You can always start a new thread in Accidents and Incidents, or discuss your disagreements in one of the other threads already running there.

I don't want to come off like a heartless bastard, but somebody has to say it: "There's no way this dive could ever have gone so badly for so many people if it wasn't planned and executed as a bad dive from the start." There is not down-welling in the world that will take three experienced divers from recreational depths to 400' and implying that the victims were overtaken by some random, invisible, unavoidable, overwhelming force does SCUBA diving a huge disservice.

This is a sad outcome, but unfortunately not a complete surprise.

flots.
I never said they planned to only go to recreational depths. I honestly don't know, but I'm sure they didn't plan a dive to 300 or even 400 feet. I unsderstand that people are concerned for the sport because new divers or those thinking about it might read this thread and decide not to because of fear that they'll be doing nothing wrong when they're suddenly swept into the abyss. But like I've said, this is a discussion for another thread at another time.

Right now let's focus on our friends in their time of need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom