S90 inside the S95 Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zabbaskeema

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Ikelite :)

I own a S90. One day I will switch to an S95 when the other breaks or when the S95 are replaced by the next model.

I just got this from a UW shop in Germany:

"Please don't even think about putting a S90 into a S95 housing -you will fail. This for the most cameras doesn't work, because of minimal changed sizes, slightly diffrent places for the buttons, straighter edges...
In the worst case you can't push any button while you are underwater, or camera will not exactly fit to the front port, so you get vignetting etc..."

On your website, I see a note that the button actually don`t align 100% but everything is working ok...

I cannot find a single real life user review or comment on putting that particular scenario.

I turn to you to confirm to me or point me to actual customer that are using the S90 with the 6242.95.

Thanks for your great support,

Patrick

Never mind, I ordered a new S95 and the IKELITE housing. I will answer myself when I get it...

zabbaskeema,

I had responded to your post last week (seen below) and for some reason it was "auto-saved content" instead of "posted content".

As an update to the initial response below, Ikelite offers an additional foam LCD pad that will adjust for the difference in thickness and secure the S95 camera in the S90 housing. We are not aware of anyone else putting the older S90 in the newer S95 housing. Our Production Manager did confirm that the rear and top push button controls will be off-center but should be operational when using the S90 camera in the S95 housing.

zabbaskeema,

From the Ikelite website: "The Canon Powershot S90 camera body varies slightly by camera thickness and pushbutton placement. Rear and top pushbutton controls will be slightly off-center but operational when using the S90 camera in this installation."

Key functions such as the shutter release and zoom control should work well. Other functions, such as rear push buttons may be as much as 1/16th" off, but normally will catch the edge of the camera buttons and activate them.

Ikelite Housing #6242.90 is configured specifically for the Canon S90 camera and #6242.95 is configured specifically for the Canon S95 camera.

In your situation it would be best to purchase a S95 camera which will be fully compatible with the 6242.95 housing.

Regards,

Can't you bend the metal shaft that goes to the buttons? That's how it was done back in the SLR housing days.

Lwang,

DSLR housing shafts are still made of a high grade stainless steel, excluding push buttons.

All controls in your ULTRAcompact housing are made of softer but corrosion resistant nickel plated brass and should not be bent.

Regards,

Guys

I've today taken delivery of an S-95 which I've just out in the Ikelite S-90 case
Seems to be no problem at all even without the foam pad

Not tried it underwater yet but 'll let you know how that goes.
/dog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom