Exploding scuba tank kills one - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? Extra testing can deem a 6351 as safe?
A "Visual Eddy" is required on 6351 tanks. see that section at Cylinder Testing

I'd rather salvage the valve and sell the tank as scrap if I owned a 6351.

A "Visual Eddy" is required on 6351 tanks. see that section at Cylinder Testing

I'd rather salvage the valve and sell the tank as scrap if I owned a 6351.

Thanks - found it also . . . I would not want to trust it.

Damn,
That's all very upsetting. I love my S92's and S100. They are my favorite shore dive cylinders.
I've always known mine are the 6351 alloy, made in 87. They've never been out of hydro and just passed visuals this month, they had VE in '07, but I see Luxfer recommends every 2 1/2 years. I'll be speaking with my LDS tomorrow about them.

Reactions: Jax
I would like to interject a theory as to why he would be described as having burns and a flash being seen by one alleged witness. If one were to allow high pressure O2 to pass over an organic compound it would cause friction=heat+organic material(Russ)+O2 you have fire. A flash fire that would be in the blink of an eye. It is being reported that this was a Deco bottle which possibly contained some EAN above 21%.. I'm willing to speculate that it was at least 50/50 or 100% O2.

This is only my theory based on the speculative reporting being issued my the media. Although I feel it explains the accounts of explosion, flash, steam and burns.

I would like to interject a theory as to why he would be described as having burns and a flash being seen by one alleged witness. If one were to allow high pressure O2 to pass over an organic compound it would cause friction=heat+organic material(Russ)+O2 you have fire. A flash fire that would be in the blink of an eye. It is being reported that this was a Deco bottle which possibly contained some EAN above 21%.. I'm willing to speculate that it was at least 50/50 or 100% O2.

This is only my theory based on the speculative reporting being issued my the media. Although I feel it explains the accounts of explosion, flash, steam and burns.

Lovin' your theory. Maybe you should get out to the movies less.
J

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/2011/sep/13/fatal-scuba-blast-ruled-accidental-still-a-mystery-ar-257503/

I
nitial medical examiners report seems to rule out 100% oxygen. At least one "expert" not happy about the online speculation...

CLEARWATER Russell Vanhorn II died Sunday as a result of injuries from a scuba tank explosion, but it's still not clear what triggered the blast, the Pinellas Medical Examiner's said.
"It seems to be a mystery," said Bill Pellan, chief investigator with the office.
The cause of death was ruled accidental.
Whether the tank had contained compressed air or more volatile pure oxygen has not been determined.
"I'm not sure we have any information as to what was in the tank," Pellan said.
Oxygen is not a combustible gas, but it accelerates combustion through oxidation when combined with flammable materials and a heat source.
Pellan said the autopsy produced no signs of a heat-generating type of explosion.
"Based on sheer friction, there was some searing," Pellan said. "There was not any burning of the tissue like you'd see in a fire."
St. Petersburg police say the blast ripped the small, aluminum scuba tank in half and blew out the valve, causing severe damage to Vanhorn's side, leg and arm.
One expert in scuba tank safety lamented the online speculation that is filling the void of information about how the blast happened.
"A lot of the information that's being posted is pure speculation," said Mark Gresham, president and CEO of Seattle-based Professional Scuba Inspections-Professional Cylinder Inspectors.
Gresham said he hopes investigators will pinpoint the triggering event for Sunday's blast because compressed air cylinders do not spontaneously explode.
"There's always got to be a cause," Gresham said.
Gresham said oxygen tank fires typically are "very, very hot", but that even an explosion involving ordinary air can be devastating.
Gresham said that under pressure, a typical 80-cubic-foot aluminum scuba tank contains 1.3 million foot-pounds of potential energy, enough to lift four 88-ton railroad locomotives one foot off the ground.
"Hand grenades are far less powerful," Gresham said.
Gresham said he keeps statistics on scuba cylinder failures and since 1972, he knows of 21 aluminum cylinders and 56 steel tanks that have ruptured for one reason or another.

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/2011/sep/13/fatal-scuba-blast-ruled-accidental-still-a-mystery-ar-257503/

I
nitial medical examiners report seems to rule out 100% oxygen. At least one "expert" not happy about the online speculation...
<snipped>
One expert in scuba tank safety lamented the online speculation that is filling the void of information about how the blast happened.
"A lot of the information that's being posted is pure speculation," said Mark Gresham, president and CEO of Seattle-based Professional Scuba Inspections-Professional Cylinder Inspectors.
<snipped>

Betcha ScubaBoard speculation ends up being right. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom