Vortex Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

This is the procedure given to us by the management and it works fine. I agree, no cave diver in their right mind would allow themselfe to be locked in a cave.

That sounds more reasonable than the explanation I was given. Thanks for the clarification. Maybe I'll give it a try if I make it back there again.

LVX once bubbled...
Hey dixiecowgirl,

Can you give some additional informatin about the death at vortex.

How did you hear about it?

thanks

LVX

I haven't been able to find any news of a recent death at Vortex. I even asked a diver who lives in the area and teaches there and they didn't hear anything either. In fact they were there last weekend.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
That's NOT the procedure. We pull the gate closed behind us and lock the lock so that nobody can lock us in. We make it look locked but it isn't. If I remember right the key is also required to lock the lock (I dived it in March). It would be pretty hard or impossible for two teams to pass eachother and not know it so if the exiting team passed a team on their way in we hand the key off so the team who is the furthest in always has the key. The gate is never locked with any one inside.

This is the procedure given to us by the management and it works fine. I agree, no cave diver in their right mind would allow themselfe to be locked in a cave.
Whenever possible, we leave the gate open with a gate guard there. If we don't have a gate guard, I close the gate behind me, but... I still carry that damned lock with me. Never passed another team beyond the grate before, but I reckon we'd hand off the lock & key if we did... we sure as hell wouldn't lock it if (1) we got back to the grate and it was open (2) we found a clothespin, arrow of any other indicator that anyone had entered behind us (3) we find silt suspended in the cave (4) anything else that would give me or any team member any reason at all to believe the cave isn't clear of all humans.
The gate guard is really the best way.
Yes, the key is required to lock it.
E.

I was just wondering if the body of the diver who disappeard last year was ever recovered. We've gone for years and my wife is still wigged out about going and won't dive there for that reason. Thanks.

This is an extreme case of necrophilia, but rather entertaining. This thread has been dead for more than 8 years, long before the diver [-]faked[/-], I mean disappeared at Vortex.

I searched the area between Playa del Carmen and Tulum and didn't find him. I think I'll poke around some caves in the Caribbean to see if he is down there. I want the reward.

Some of the best cave divers in the world went to the end of the possibility of human penetration and found no sign of the alleged victim. Even if he was in the system enough time has passed that his body would have been reclaimed by mother nature and all products of decomp would have been long gone. There is no reason that you should avoid Vortex because of this incident. Go and have fun.....

I was just wondering if the body of the diver who disappeard last year was ever recovered. We've gone for years and my wife is still wigged out about going and won't dive there for that reason. Thanks.

Was there in July and love it, you gotto do the state park just down thr road its called Morrison Springs and its free, really cool, I think alot better than Vortex.

Was there in July and love it, you gotto do the state park just down thr road its called Morrison Springs and its free, really cool, I think alot better than Vortex.

That beware of alligators sign still there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom