FYI BHB - Sheriff's dept ticketing for not having dive flags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sotgecho

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just got back from the bridge today and a sheriff's boat ticketed a diver for not having a proper dive flag; instead he just had a float.

The sheriff's boats have been showing up at high tide lately patrolling. This is the third time I have seen them at high tide and the first ticketing a diver. Since that sailboat incident (my instructor was the one who almost got ran over in the video).

I don't dive that spot but having a patrol boat around seems like a good thing. Am I right?

All for it. You are ignorant if you're not towing a proper flag and float while diving in the Lagoon.

Dragging a flag around while going around the piers is a PITA and will ruin the dive. Hopefully they don't ticket in that area.

Dragging a flag around while going around the piers is a PITA and will ruin the dive. Hopefully they don't ticket in that area.

We can't ask for enforcement and then complain if we don't comply with dive flag rules.

Marine Patrol has been known to ticket divers exiting without a flag on beach dives. Make sure you're close to someone with a flag when you exit, if you don't have a flag.

We can't ask for enforcement and then complain if we don't comply with dive flag rules.
I never asked for enforcement and don't expect it to be across the board (as in ocean and bridge) or for any duration. Things will slack off again in due time, at least until another diver gets hit or killed. I am not complaining but rather, thinking out loud.

Marine Patrol has been known to ticket divers exiting without a flag on beach dives. Make sure you're close to someone with a flag when you exit, if you don't have a flag.
Flags are cheap and there is nor reason to not have one if you are going to be doing any beach dives. You don't have to drag it through the pilings, you can always tie it off and retrieve it on your way back to the beach. Ticket problem and entanglement problem solved in one sneaky swoop.

It isnt that big of a pain, when im going around the sails i usually pull it under to get to whatever side im going or toss it over a line, but it really isnt that big of a pita

That is exactly where that diver was when the sheriff's boat asked him to come to shore.

Just got back from the bridge today and a sheriff's boat ticketed a diver for not having a proper dive flag; instead he just had a float.

The sheriff's boats have been showing up at high tide lately patrolling. This is the third time I have seen them at high tide and the first ticketing a diver. Since that sailboat incident (my instructor was the one who almost got ran over in the video).

Do you have a link to that video...? lee

The flag does not have to be a pain. We use one of those metal tank banging sticks (got ours at Force E and they sharpened the tip) as an anchor. Clip it to the end of your spool. When we are near the pilings, we stick it hard in the sand and it holds the flag in place. You can the dive in the general area safely. Same with the sailboats or the wreck. When you want to move to the next area, pull it out and repeat.

Easy, and safe.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom