What do you or your lady friends use as BCD and regulators please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most sports make accommodations for the different body structures of females. But this thread is going because most dive equipment is designed for men. Most women have smaller jaws and smaller jaw muscles than men. This becomes a big problem when those smaller muscles fatigue in trying to hold a soft one size fits all mouthpiece in the mouth against the pull of the regulator and hoses. A SeaCure mouthpiece is very different. It molds to fit any sized mouth and can be trimmed to fit even the tiniest mouth. Because it is rigid the amount of leverage required to hold it in is reduced by 80%. This is especially important for women who by nature do not have large jaw muscles. And, many women are enjoying the new colors that SeaCure has available.

I have 2 different setups for cold and warm water.
Warm water I wear a proteus wet suit by fourth element, my BC is a Zuma by Aqua Lung, reg is a Atomic B2, fins, Aqua Lung travel fins. Cold water gear: Waterproof D1 hybrid Drysuit (keeps me warm), Fourth Element Arctic undergarment and socks, Scuba Pro Bella BC, Atomic B2 reg, Apollo bio fins. Love all of it.

Try out the Aqua Lung Zuma its an awesome travel bc and very adjustable

I am going through these same issues myself. I am a bit shorter at only 5' 2" and about 120 lb. I have dove with a Diva for the last 10 years and have been very happy with it. The only problem is that it is heavy compared with other BC's for travel -- which is the only way we dive. After trying on most of the BCs made for women, I am considering the Seaquest Libra, but am unsure if I really want to switch from a jacket style to a back inflate. I actually like the cumberbund and the ability to adjust it to a comfortable feel and the jacket feels very secure. I have felt a bit squeezed by the jacket inflate though, but only a couple of times in 10 years.

The squeeze issue is why my wife got a back inflate BCD. She is quite small and there just isn't much room to inflate a normal jacket style BCD on a small person.

It still has the cummerbund and all the straps any other BCD would have, it just doesn't inflate around the torso, but on the back instead.

I'm using Mares Hybrid BCD and Mares Proton 42 Metal regulator out of their She Dives serie. I absolutely love both pieces and wouldn't change them for anything else. In addition Mares ships the regulator with a special mouthpiece that you can completely adjust to your theeth and jaws, so diving with it is amazing as you don't feel any preasure in your mouth. Both items are light weight and great for traveling.

Mares Hybrid She Dives BCD | Ladies BCDs | Simply Scuba UK

After I got my OW certification in Nov 07, I went to my local dive shop to buy some gear so I'd have stuff that fit and not be at the mercy of what was available in rental gear on my dive trips. I'm 5'2" and weigh 88 lbs (10 lbs less than when I first started diving). I've used a Zeagle Zena BCD, and have almost 400 dives with it. It zips down the front with side and shoulder buckles for a snug adjustment; no cummerund or weight belt! Front and back pockets for weights. Depending upon the thickness of the wetsuit, I put 3 or 4 lb wts in each of the front pockets. When I've done cold water dives in fresh water, I've also put weights in the back pockets. I've switched out the mouthpiece on my Sherwood regs for smaller mouthpieces; this is easy to do yourself. I also have a junior size dive mask (still good after almost four years). The hardest thing is to get a wetsuit that fits, not just when trying it on, but when you're in the water. I end up with water coming in at the neck, and then I'm cold the whole dive. Started out with a Henderson T2 3mm wetsuit in size 4, which was great until the legs got a little stretched out and I lost the 10 lbs. I bought the newest Henderson Titanium in a size 4 (small), and it was way too big, so I sent it back to the web vendor and got a full refund, since the sizing didn't match the mfr's guidelines (I've seen the suit on other lady divers, and they both said this model runs larger than other Henderson suites). I think the extra small might fit, but I'm trying other options before shelling out $450 for another wetsuit. I'm going to try wearing a hooded vest under the 3 mm suit to see if that will work.

I am 5 1 1/2" and about 95 lb. I have a Scubapro Ladyhawk which I love but am also thinking of getting an Oxycheq backplate/wings. I started with a Scubapro Bella which is a jacket style (I wanted pockets) but the Ladyhawk is much better: much more freedom of movement and better suited to drysuit if needed. Besides, in a BCD this size, the pockets are close to useless. Now I just clip things to D-rings.

Personally I don't like the weight system on Zeagle so would avoid that brand but others obviously don't mind.

maybe i'm being captain obvious... i'm not sure if you're looking into buying tanks, but having access to a c60 changed my diving forever. but the considerably smaller size WILL affect the style of bp/w you get.

Thanks for all your advice and sharing.

we ended up with a scubapro litehawk BCD (XS/S) . light back floatation minimalist, yet not a BP/w. sternum strap was moved up as it had an uncomfortable nipping tendency on the uuum chest area. otherwise looks and feels great according to her.

regulators purchased were scubapro's excellent mk 25/S600 set up.

was the top of the line until the A700 came out, but lighter than the A700 second, so a plus for smaller ladies :)

test dives in a week or two and we'll check back in...

cheers for all your help

I'm a little bit bigger than your wife. ( 125-130 pounds / 5.8 feet )
And I'm using.

- BCD : Scuba Pro - Equator size S
- Reg : Aqualung Titan LX
- Wetsuit : Ripcurl 3/2 size 8

All are great and comfy for me.
Not sure if I'm too late for this topic or not. LoL =P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom