Looks like Juvenille French Angel, But?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herbdb

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This looks a lot like a french angelfish, except for the Y shaped pattern of the yellow llines on the body. I have not been able to find this on line or in my fish Id books. Can anyone help or verify the ID?

Angel.jpg

I think it is just an interesting morph of a French angel. The only other juvie angel fish that looks similar to the French is the Gray (at least that I can think of), but the juvie Gray's tail is less rounded then the French.

It appears to me to be a intermediate French angle based one the slight yellow edges on the scales. The odd rear yellow line is most likely just a genetic variation.

Thanks to both of you. I saw a number of these during a trip to Bonaire in June. Juvie forms are difficult to ID.

If you ever have trouble telling a French from a Grey at this transitional stage (which is pretty far along), it's easier to tell by the eye than by the tail. That yellow ring around the eye belongs to the French. A grey would either have black or dark grey around the eye.

French angel between juve and intermediate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom