Are you wearing snorkel while SCUBA diving?

Are you wearing snorkel while SCUBA diving

• Yes

Votes: 117 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 273 62.8%
  • Other

Votes: 45 10.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

martinskarin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
When I have been out diving I have seend (also in pictures etc) that some wears a snorkel and some not while SCUBA diving.

How do you do? Why?

got rid of mine as soon as OW course finished.. stupid thing kept moving in front of my mask and was driving me nuts.. didn't wear it for AOW either as the instructor didn't mind ha.. (shhh.. :eyebrow:)

Depends on the dive. When I have to swim from the shore I will use it, when it's a boat dive or no surface swim required - then definitely no.

I like having it to the side just in case. I don't like to waste air during surface swims. Sometimes when on the surface, there are waves, and having the snorkel in helps breathe over them. Also there's a chance on boat dives that you could drift a distance away from the boat and maybe this would be after a dive when you're low on air. However, a few divemasters and instructors (in real life and on this board) have mentioned that it's not really necessary.

It's sometimes an annoyance, but not enough that I'd get rid of it.

Like racerx, ditched it quick. The gf still wears hers though.

I havent worn one when diving for years, I do have one and it sits in the bottom of my bag. I used it once a couple of years ago while snorkeling off a boat at the Similans. Its an the SV1, very expensive given the amount of use it gets i.e. once, not sure why I bought it to be honest, must have been bored that day.

I keep a rolled up one in a small pouch on my waist. It is actually a legal requirement to have a snorkel, along with cutting device and surface marker where I live so no choice really. I still carry one when I travel though.

I wouldn't want to dive with it hanging off my mask the whole time.

Sadly yes...

I had originally ditched it soon after getting AOW. But then when I joined the local club here it was a requirement (though not as tightly enforced anymore). Now I am used to it, even with the current tossing it around.

Definately comes in handy when the surface is not so nice on the end of the dive

I have one of thouse cheap snorkels without a sump valve in the bottom. Think its pretty confortable to have one when I´m up floating on the surface. Especially when its windy with waves. But I hate when water gets inside and you feel like coughing yourself to death..
I think it´s time to buy a better one. I read that there are snorkels that have something called a "dry walve".
They have a sort of valve at the top ho prevents water to get inside...

Delete..Duplicate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom