Starting out solo diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_yates

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys just a quick dit about how my diving has developed resulting in me solo diving.

For the last few years I have been diving with a wide range of people who have varying levels of ability from experienced buddies to trainees. Some of my regular buddies are like me, quite content to get into the water and work in a loose buddy style the occasional OK and a quick contents check, others are a lot more communicative and stick with you through the dive like glue.

While diving with the trainees or the less proficient I have had to become more self-reliant, and have enjoyed my diving more and more. The fact that I have had to become more self focused and not reliant on other who may not have the skill or experience to help should I get into trouble has been liberating. This summer has seen me diving in shallow quarries to build up my skills and techniques for getting into the water myself. This last week if have left behind the quarries and progressed into the sea. My first solo dive in the sea was at Swanage pier in the UK. A fantastic site its an old pier in about 6m max of salt water which seems to be a magnet for fish and crabs. I spent a great hour underwater prodding fish and feeding crabs bits of bacon.

A more recent dive was at stackpole quay in wales, another nice shallow site which starts off in a nice little harbour which has a lovely rocky reef just outside the entrance. In early summer the site is famous for the thousands of spider crabs that here to mate. But by this time of year they have all dispersed again.
After kitting up and fighting my way into my wetsuit I walked down the little road and past the familys having BBQ's on the beach and into the water, after wading into waist deep water i put on my fins did a kit check and checked my pony bottle was turned on I started to fin out of the harbour to the reef. This time I had my camera with me and was able to take a few picks

After 45 minutes I decided it was time to leave the water all in I spent an hour underwater. That evening I found a campsite and filled my 10L cylinder from my twin set. The following day I was going to try a different site but decided that I would return to Stackpole, this time I spent 90minutes underwater with a max depth of 6m and used 150bar of gas. These two dives were some of the most relaxed and enjoyable dives I have had to date, with the added bonus there was nobody tugging my fin while I was laying amongst the rocks and seaweed while watching the wildlife go bye.

Here are a few Pics of Shannys and an Edible crab

6089183408_c50b1ae3e2_z.jpg

6089190526_c3bf503140_z.jpg

6089191154_e6795927eb_z.jpg

Matt

Attachments

• 6089183408_c50b1ae3e2_m.jpg
    6089183408_c50b1ae3e2_m.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 300
Reactions: r4e
Welcome to the dark(fun)side of diving.

Take care and stay safe.

Good pics Matt, shallow dives like this are what makes underwater photography and solo diving work.

Photographers are often the first to solo. There is actually a long tradition of solo diving. The first dive with the Émile Gagnan/Jacques Cousteau regulator in June 1943 was solo. It was described in the first pages of Cousteau’s The Silent World. I really enjoy pointing that fact out to staunch members in the “buddy dive or die” cult. :coffee:

Why, no less a luminary than our beloved Mike Nelson dove solo all the time! :D

Sililar progression to solo as myself, except i got bored of taking time out to concentrate on my camera only to find myself playing 'hunt the buddy'.

And let's hear it for Swanage pier, fabulous place to solo a photographer's delight though i prefer it mid week as weekends get too many trainees.

shame it's September already, especially with you using a wet suit, but what do you plan to do solo, or just shore dives?

The wet suit is used as im not nimble enough to get into my dry suit on my own, plus the water has been warm enough to use the wetsuit

As for future solo dives i dont have any ambition to go deeper, and so the odd shore dive will do me fine, theres plenty more to be explored off of pembrokshire yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom