Diving with Weedy Seadragons in Flinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys

Great subject!
What is the closest focussing distance with this set up?

I did do some tests a while ago which are on my youtube channel for minimum 3d object distance using an EOM 3D housing, its not the same as the blurfix but the basic design is very similar and looking back at those videos if viewed with 3D off, about 4 inches would be minimum distance in both 1080 and 720 modes for good focus underwater from what I can see with those tests.

I would assume the blurfix would be no worse and having a clear glass filter instead of the plastic on the EOM would only help if anything. When you consider you can mount a gopro on a helmet only a few inches from your face and still get a focused image like many videos on the net the minimum distance is really pretty good for a fixed focus camera.

I haven't filmed too many smaller things but will give it a test next time I go for a dive. The seadragons aren't very big and when I got close enough to them the video looks pretty decent, the bad vis though didn't help too much.

A proper camera will be better for real macro stuff, and most things in general but the gopro can get results that are pretty good at a much lower cost/size and ease of use.

Once I started using the blurfix and URpro filters I was amazed at how much better the video can turn out compared to a standard clear lens given favorable lighting conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom