Key West Fla Dive shop recommendation.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DonH57

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are visiting Key West around the 1st week of January and I'm considering doing a couple of reef dives considering water temps. Anyone familiar with their local dive shops that they would recommend? Thanks.

Was out with Subtropic Labor Day weekend. I'll never use them again. After failing CG inspection we had to wait for the re-inspection to go out. First dive out the ladder falls off the boat. Next day waiting for afternoon trip to return to go out for a night dive the boat ran out of gas. They finally returned but cancelled night dive. As soon as afternoon divers were off the boat they loaded up with beer and and pulled out of port. Did they really run out of gas or did they just want to go out drinking rather than the night dive. One of the DMs said they didn't run out of gas, he checked fuel himself before they left. BTW, they never checked c-cards and really didn't even seem to care if we filled out waivers. Also, our whole group brought tanks and asked that they be filled for the night dive. They didn't fill any of the air tanks only the Nitrox claiming they didn't know what we wanted in the air tanks. We called the trip short and went up to Largo to dive.

I had a great experience with Bonsai this past June and highly recommend them. A much more personalized adventure then you get on a cattle boat.

I know the guys at South Point..Like Deac said always professional and a good group of folks

I went out with SubTropic last January and they were very good. Just remember that diving the Keys in January is a challange. Out of four scheduled trips, I only got to go out once, the weather sabotaged the other trips.

I loved Subtropic, and have used them with great success...until this year. I was in Key West for a week in January, April, and July. I scheduled several trips with Subtropic each time, and never went out with them once. Every trip was cancelled due to no other divers.

As I explored other shops, I saw they had full boats; that made me wonder. When I went by the Subtropic shop, it looked like it had been visited by locusts; empty walls, display cases, and floors. I asked if they were going out of business and was told they were no longer doing retail.

By asking around, I was told the owner, Robin Lockwood had turned the day to day operation of the shop over to his son. Several sources were not encouraging in their assessment.

I don't know what happened to the shop, but I know they have gone from the first call I make when I know I am going to KW, to not even being in my phone book anymore.

My avatar was taken on the Starfish Enterprise a few years ago.

Very sad.

Back
Top Bottom