Travel Reg: Apeks Flight vs. Aqualung Micron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I opted for the flight setup. It is very nice looking and great when using all miflex hoses and a naked spg. as for the hoses it did not bother me and time will tell if it will be an issue which i dont see. I took it in the pool yesterday and it breathed great and smooth.

The Mikron is surely feels & looks better as compared to the Flight, but some say they're just the same.
Some how my choice would be the Mikron, the 1st stage looks a lot more solid.
Don't really like the tool-free releases on the 2nd stages on the Flight....i wonder if it breaks on a dive trip, where to find the hoses? :confined:

just got back from diving Caribbean with my Aqualung Mikron. Great regulator, easy breather and sooo much smaller compared to full sized 2nd stages. only minor issue, it is really sensitive to free flow when value adjustment knob is fully opened outside the water. anybody with similar experience?

I had the same issue with my Mikron 2nd stage. I now keep the knob fully closed, and had my shop adjust the reg so that I have to pull a little harder, but that's a personal preference.

I have had my flight for a little over a year and it's done around 45 dives on 3 dive trips. I went to get it serviced before my next trip, and the technician didn't have the right unique tools for the flight and needs to order them specifically from apeks, which will take extra time. It has made me think that maybe in retrospect all things being equal I may have picked the mikron (which was out of stock last year when I was buying a reg), although having said that I absolutely love my flight, so comfy to dive with, never had a problem during a dive with it (apart from chewing through a mouthpiece, which is hardly the regs fault!) and it's so light for travel.

I'm going to be talking to my technician about what the special servicing requirements are as am planning on spending a lot of time in Thailand next year and would be concerned that they might not have the right tools either.

the apeks has really good exhaust valve vs the micron. def a big diff when underwater! also servising on apeks is 2 yrs vs 1 yr aqualung

I have had my flight for a little over a year and it's done around 45 dives on 3 dive trips. I went to get it serviced before my next trip, and the technician didn't have the right unique tools for the flight and needs to order them specifically from apeks, which will take extra time. It has made me think that maybe in retrospect all things being equal I may have picked the mikron (which was out of stock last year when I was buying a reg), although having said that I absolutely love my flight, so comfy to dive with, never had a problem during a dive with it (apart from chewing through a mouthpiece, which is hardly the regs fault!) and it's so light for travel.

I'm going to be talking to my technician about what the special servicing requirements are as am planning on spending a lot of time in Thailand next year and would be concerned that they might not have the right tools either.

Im not sure about all of Thailand but I know there is an Apeks dealer in Phuket and Im pretty sure there's one on Koh Tao. Now whether they stock the hoses may be another question. Good luck.

I have a Mikron. When adjusted fully open, sometimes it free flows, most time it does not. I now keep it backed down to about 1/2, doesn't free flow at this setting.

I open fully underwater only occasionally when it seems like I am having to draw a bit too hard. And then I usually forget to dial it down and eventually it will free flow on the surface reminding me to dial it back.

When it free flows, a quick finger in the mouthpiece stops it.

I have a Mikron. When adjusted fully open, sometimes it free flows, most time it does not. I now keep it backed down to about 1/2, doesn't free flow at this setting.

I open fully underwater only occasionally when it seems like I am having to draw a bit too hard. And then I usually forget to dial it down and eventually it will free flow on the surface reminding me to dial it back.

When it free flows, a quick finger in the mouthpiece stops it.

Sounds like it might need a tune.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom