Checking your underwater housings with your airline when traveling. Insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoralKisser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was just wondering what others are doing when they need to check there expensive photo gear in as checked baggage when traveling? Is there insurance you can buy to cover such expensive gear? Most baggage coverage Ive seen only covers from about $750 -2000 depending on how much you want to pay for the insurance ($50 - 400) but this gear is worth around $6000.
Obviously I will be packing them in Pelican travel cases with locks on but Im just wondering if insurance for such expensive items is also available.

Never. Ever. I carry on my housing and strobes in one lightweight soft case, padded with socks and undies. My camera goes in the other one, along with toothbrush, pills and onboard reading material. The only time I've had a problem is on third world puddle jumpers, and I've talked them into carrying the camera in my lap while the housing was stowed in a big pile with the rest of the luggage up front.

My camera, lenses, housing, and ports go in my carry-on. I do, however, check my large glass dome port ($1,000) and strobes (as well as all my dive gear). I pack them so they are well cushioned with neoprene and clothing, and I make up my mind beforehand that I won't let it spoil a day of vacation if they arrive in pieces. So far it hasn't been a problem.

I carry on my housing (with camera body inside...o-ring on housing not installed), all my lenses, 2 strobes, FO cables, arms / clamps and port for my 60mm with an extension so I can shoot my 105 as well. My mini-dome is wrapped in my wetsuit and goes in my Samsonite hard side checked bag.

Tamrac - Model 5258 CyberPack 8 - Photo/Computer Backpack

Carry on, carry on, carry on ! I usually travel/carry on, a lightweight backpack, and a roller. Housing, camera, 2 strobes, dome, hardware, regulator, etc. Larry C is correct, socks and undies are your friends :D If you MUST check your rig/gear, then yes on the Pelican & TSA friendly locks/cable ties. Insurance wise, look at DAN equipment insurance, your Homeowners/renters insurance, or if you are an American Express Cardholder, they offer a slew of different options for travel, etc.

Carrying on is always ideal. Roller Bags or Backpacks from Think Tank, LowePro or Tamrac are great. Think Tank you will see has really won over the UW guys in their reliability and the amount of room in their bags. If you do check, make sure you use a Pelican or Storm Case and make sure the gear is well padded.

Insurance is available through DAN (equipment insurance option). You can also add it to some homeowners Rider policies (be sure it covers flood insurance). Its a great idea to ALWAYS insure this gear anyways.

Back
Top Bottom