Which PADI specialties are useful and which ones are "underwater basket weaving"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you vacation to Asia/Pacific, the MSD card is currently free upon application.

Anything free is cool. Seriously cool.

Free. Free. Free.

:D:eyebrow:

Anything free from PADI is even more cool. It's cool because it costs them money...and not you.

Strike a blow for the little man! Viva La Revolution!

Oh ok!!! Seeing as I probably will be in Thailand when I become eligible, I will consider taking the opportunity to screw PADI just that little bit :)

To me, for MSD to be a worthwhile rating it should have a dive theory and dive skill assessment in addition to any speciality stuff.
Until that point its worthless, its just paying money for a card with no extra training!

I take it you won't be applying for MI then :wink:

It's not worthless!

.... cost me $80 AUD!

Speaking of unique Certs.. Where in the US can one take PADI Ice Diving Cert? I assume only in the winter and somewhere south of the Mississippi or Alaska? Anyone have it? Recommend it?

I plan on going to Greenland in the next few years..

Speaking of unique Certs.. Where in the US can one take PADI Ice Diving Cert? I assume only in the winter and somewhere south of the Mississippi or Alaska? Anyone have it? Recommend it?

I plan on going to Greenland in the next few years..
Being in SoCal you could go to Lake Tahoe Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Alaska, Idaho, Montana, maybe Taos New Mexico or there may be a spot in Oregon or Washington state.

Yeah, bit south of the Mississippi
will actually get you to Greenland

Everyone Needs this One

PADIcard.jpg

Got my Ice Diver in Kansas but had to drive up to Nebraska for check out. With windchill it was -50 degrees. Buddy's reg froze up so had to solo. Nothing but a few sleeping fish to carry around and a stroll upsidedown on the ice. Wet suit leaked. Got out and layed over and my tank froze to the ice. Of yeah...That was fun, but you WILL always remember how to tie a bowline knot.

Last edited:
Why on earth should lessons come with a dry suit? I dont get driving lessons if i buy a car or cooking lessons if i buy a saucepan!

some people need lessons for cooking when they do buy a saucepan.

I think everyone has good ideas but it does come down to your weaknesses, what you want to do in the future, and the locations you plan to dive.

I have take drysuit and it was a good course and its all I dive. The shop in Fairbanks teaches: deep, rescue, SR, altitude, ice and other generic courses. All of them are relevant to Alaska, but might not be in Egypt or the Bahamas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom