A lesson / Reminder to all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow ... tough crowd.

Although I generally agree with the message in some of these comments, the delivery leaves a lot to be desired. These are obviously new divers ... they'll listen much more to people who aren't insulting them.

That said, slowing down is definitely the best way to assure yourself of seeing what's out there. There are many species that survive by blending in with their environment ... and you'll only see them by going slow and knowing what to look for.

As for handling critters, I don't subscribe strictly to the "no contact" way of thinking. I do believe that there's a right and wrong way to interact with critters ... and the right way is to let the critter initiate the contact. I believe in "do no harm" ... which is not the same as "don't touch". Rather than poking, put your hand close. If the octopus is curious, it'll touch you ... if it doesn't, leave it alone. Also, be aware that some critters can hurt you ... and if it does so because you initiated contact, it's not the critters fault you got hurt.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm a "toucher" too

always have been. When I first learned to dive I made (due to circumstances) many hundreds of dives with marine biologists and that's what made a tactile experience part of my norm.

The limit for me is when I feel as though I may be distressing the animal. To give me an example of the kind of "toucher" I am... I frequently "pick up" small crabs, including small camouflaged crabs that I only know the name of in Dutch. I'm pretty sure that none of these animals are aware of being picked up.

Last Saturday I "picked up" a shrimp. It "landed" on my finger after many attempts (and 5 min of hovering motionless) and I could hear my buddy saying "HOLY COW" through his regulator. I'm pretty sure that the shrimp didn't even know that it had landed on someone's finger. (as an aside, i've also done the same thing with hummingbirds..... yes, people, I have had hummingbirds land on my fingers.... )

In the past i've had a crab who clamped on to me and didn't let go for 20 min. Fortunately he wasn't grasping anything that hurt.

I've also been "kissed" on the forehead by a squid who seemed to want to plant an egg there and there have been many other moments with animals (some of which indeed have included being bitten) that were incredible... maybe the best of which were having a dolphin "play" the part of my dive buddy (staying within arms length of me for 40 min) and being able to lure a lobster out of his hole by touching his antennae and subsequently having him show me his primal behaviour by attacking an eel, as if it were his nature to teach...

I know a lot of people don't like "touchers" but I've never harmed an animal and I've spent my entire life in close proximity to animals.... I do feel as though it's possible to interact with them without harming them.

R..

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that most people do not know how to interact with animals. They want to grab, hold, and control the animal. Some of us have a great empathy with wildlife, know how to interpret their behaviors, and recognize the risk.

For those of you that won't handle a spider, don't touch anything else . . . .

Why on earth did you/he poke the octopus? You could see it well enough, no need to agitate it. I don't go around poking people with a stick either.

But back on topic, when I was in Ibiza, we did a nice wall-dive, and I hardly saw anything because the divemaster made it a race. I really had to work to keep up. I'm a new diver so I didn't want to fall behind. Not such a great dive. On the other hand, when we dive in the local quarry, we take it easy and slow, and see lots of critters, big and small. I saw more diferent kinds of animals in there than in the Mediterranean, because there just wasn't time to stop and take it all in. :(

I'm a "toucher" too

always have been. When I first learned to dive I made (due to circumstances) many hundreds of dives with marine biologists and that's what made a tactile experience part of my norm.

The limit for me is when I feel as though I may be distressing the animal. To give me an example of the kind of "toucher" I am... I frequently "pick up" small crabs, including small camouflaged crabs that I only know the name of in Dutch. I'm pretty sure that none of these animals are aware of being picked up.
Around here we call them decorator crabs.

In the past i've had a crab who clamped on to me and didn't let go for 20 min. Fortunately he wasn't grasping anything that hurt.
A few months back I had a rock crab latch onto my scooter by the hand strap, and remain there for several minutes ... even while I was scootering. Unfortunately, he came off rather abruptly when I stopped to look at an octopus who, I'm sure, found him delicious ... :shocked:

I've also been "kissed" on the forehead by a squid who seemed to want to plant an egg there and there have been many other moments with animals (some of which indeed have included being bitten) that were incredible...
Being bitten isn't all you have to worry about sometimes ...

P8060322.jpg

I know a lot of people don't like "touchers" but I've never harmed an animal and I've spent my entire life in close proximity to animals.... I do feel as though it's possible to interact with them without harming them.

R..

Everything in its time and place ... the problem with people who are adamant about any given philosophy is that it doesn't always apply to all people and in all circumstances and environments.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: Jax
I'm a "toucher" too

Last Saturday I "picked up" a shrimp. It "landed" on my finger after many attempts (and 5 min of hovering motionless) and I could hear my buddy saying "HOLY COW" through his regulator. I'm pretty sure that the shrimp didn't even know that it had

landed on someone's finger. (as an aside, i've also done the same thing with hummingbirds..... yes, people, I have had hummingbirds land on my fingers.... )

I've also been "kissed" on the forehead by a squid who seemed to want to plant an egg there and there have been many other moments with animals (some of which indeed have included being bitten) that were incredible... maybe the best of which were having a dolphin "play" the part of my dive buddy (staying within arms length of me for 40 min) and being able to lure a lobster out of his hole by touching his antennae and subsequently having him show me his primal behaviour by attacking an eel, as if it were his nature to teach...

R..

This is not about you. This is about someone who is bragging about poking an octopus off it's perch with a covered pole spear. The animal would be a bit distressed.

I do not understand the need for gloves in FL or the need of a big metal spear thing unless you are planning on spear fishing. When spear fishing my philosophy is never touch anything with the spear unless you plan on killing and eating it.

I generally don't harass the marine life and suggest that is the best and safest way to be. Not sure who your dive buddies are, but they obviously were not trained well and IMO make poor mentors. If you need advice ask. You made more contact with the reef in two minutes than I have made in the last decade! :depressed:

Maybe it was your buddy... regardless, not cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom