Canon G12/Ikelite - Strobe not firing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lastel

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi from New Zealand.
Brand new on this forum (and at photography) so please excuse me if this question has been asked before. I ahve just bought canon G12 with Ikelite housing and DS51 strobe. However the strobe will not fire. Camera flash works until cable is connected (correctly) to the hot shoe. Seems to be a communication problem rather than hardware. I would have thought it should have been as simple as connecting everything and start taking photos?? Also, menu flash settings grey out when the flash cable connected at hot shoe. Any advice? Thanks heaps.

I have the same problem with my G9 and never figured it out. I use the wireless TTL Slave sensor and have had success.
Karen Neptune's Photos

Of course I am subscribing to this thread to see if someone has a solution.

Post with Ikelite and see what they have to say. Sounds like a wiring issue in the housing problem to me. Something is not communicating.

As respects the wireless external strobe the first thing to check is that you have the correct setting of pre-flash or no pre-flash to correspond to the camera's setting of Auto, Tv, Av, M etc. mode. The Canon G cameras have a pre-flash in some modes and no pre-flash in others.

I have the same Issue. I have a G12 ad the IKELITE housing did not see the camera, until I backed off the hotshoe connection a little (maybe 1/32"). Also it you wiggle the hotshoe connection it will go in and out of strobe firing. The camera will the show a lightning bolt and the strobs will fire. The hotshoe connection is very sensitive. I contacted IKELITE and they are going to take a look at it when I get babk from my trip.

Hope IKELITE has a more perminant fix

al

lastel,
What mode (Auto, AV, TV) are you shooting? If the camera is in Auto and it thinks it has enough light, strobe will not fire. Try using AV or TV, with flash set to fire every time.
I haven't used the G12, but used that setup with my G9. Hope that helps.
Charlie

lastel,

Shoot in Av, set to maybe f6.3. Hot shoe pins should not be stuck as others mentioned when you turn your flash on TTL you should have a RED Lightning Bolt on the LCD indicating the camera KNOWS a TTL flash is attached.

Do a check for proper flash when first mounting the camera on the back and again when you slide it in the housing. The shortcut control coming in tightly from the top left can sometimes push the hot shoe pins off just enough to lose the connection. So double check it.....

Good luck shooting!

David Haas
Haas Photography Inc.
www.haasimages.com

lol had the same problem with my t3i come to find out the hot shoe was not pushed all the way in so it was not firing.missed some good shark shots because of it.

I have a g11, ikelite housing and ds160. I agree with those who say it is the mode. The Ikelite strobe only works in Av or Tv mode when connected to the hot shoe on the Canon's (or so says the manual).

You can use it with other modes but you will not be able to use the TTL function. In the Av mode the shutter speed will be set a 1/60 and may blur motion of fish. In that case use the Tv mode with a quicker shutter speed.

Good luck and take great pics.

http://picasaweb.google.com/raycperk2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom