6 cu ft VS. 13 cu ft Drysuit Inflation Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would consider either of those options (yoke reg or din reg facing up) unacceptable personally.
get a proper valve.
The acquisition of the 13 was more or less unplanned. I was at the hydro shop picking up a couple of tanks and I saw a bunch of little cylinders sitting in a corner. I asked if they ever sell cylinders they might have had lying around for many years. They responded affirmatively and so I started perusing around and came to a Luxfer S13 with original hydro date of 1992. There was no valve and no other recent hydro stamps. The inside of the tank was corrosion free and because this is not for breathing gas, I didn't have to worry about it having trace contamination with hydrocarbons. They gave me the 13 for $40 including a new hydro. At this time I do not have any additional free DIN valves, but I have about half a dozen yoke valves lying around doing nothing. So I stuck one yoke valve in, transfilled the 13 and regressed a Sherwood Brut back to yoke with an OPV and then took it diving. I will get a DIN valve for it eventually.

i would imagine you would have to get creative with the hose to avoid your battery canister. why do you want it on that side? just got through telling you i had SIX bottles on the left with a 14cuft bottle :)
I'm looking at the picture you posted and the guy at the forefront has an Al 80 the seems to be banging the valve/reg on the 13. And you look at the right side of both divers and the space is perfectly clean with nothing to bang the valve/reg. I'm sure there's not been any major disasters because the 80 was touching the 13's valve/reg, but if given a choice I would prefer no banging at all.

What I'm trying to figure out now is if the cost/benefit of moving it to right is better than staying on the left. The one time I tried it on the right I had no hose problems. In fact, I think I'll need a shorter LP hose. Again, I just grabbed what I had available at home right now. My friend didn't mention any conflicts with hose and canister, but I'll make a point of asking him next time I talk to him.

I know both of the guys in that pic, and an al80 touching a proper din valve doesn't hurt anything. Ever.

Not blocking the long hose is a pretty good reason to keep it on the left.

What length hose would ya'll recommend for a person who's 6'4" and around 225 lbs? And I did just purchase a 13 cu ft bottle and Halcyon mounting straps.

I know both of the guys in that pic, and an al80 touching a proper din valve doesn't hurt anything. Ever.

Not blocking the long hose is a pretty good reason to keep it on the left.
You'd only block it if you run the inflator hose over the long hose. It may be blocked through an oversight, but not if you pay attention and route it under.

Or you could do it right without wacky valves and hoses :wink:
On the left you also have the issue that you mentioned with the leash hanging up with floaty bottles. It looks like there'll be minor issues on either side -- nothing that cannot be properly addressed. I honestly haven't given it a try on the left side yet. I still have to put in some time with the 13 before I can make assertions one way or the other. I'll do some helium dives in 15 days. I'll try it out then.

Now don't get discouraged. I will no longer be using my leanest nitrox mix for suit inflation. Even if I do use the 13 on the right tank, it's still some progress towards doing it right. :wink:

On the other hand, I won't bother fabricating a BP attachment for the 13. I do heed some of the advise you dispense.

Picture2.jpg

T At this time I do not have any additional free DIN valves, but I have about half a dozen yoke valves lying around doing nothing.

Oh for crying out loud. This is tech diving. It costs a lot of money. If you don't have 80 bucks to buy a DIN valve then you need to seriously consider if this is an activity you should be involved with rather than nickel rocketing a bad solution to a money problem.

Now here's a related question...do you use your drysuit for buoyancy control or just enough air to keep the squeeze off?

Brian,
Your concern for my money problems and their resulting bad tech diving solutions is very touching. You certainly do add value to conversations by being such a beacon of civility and human warmth in this barren wasteland of cyberspace. You do make the world a better place.

Because your approval is of the utmost importance to me, please send me your physical address so that I can forward you banking references, historical spending habits, and the official tech worthy credit application. I'll anxiously await for your veredict. Hopefully you will find me worthy of posting in the same places you do, and perhaps even, if I may be so bold, dive in the same waters you do. I still have a glimmer of hope that maybe one day I can gain your approval.

Brian,
Your concern for my money problems and their resulting bad tech diving solutions is very touching. You certainly do add value to conversations by being such a beacon of civility and human warmth in this barren wasteland of cyberspace. You do make the world a better place.

Because your approval is of the utmost importance to me, please send me your physical address so that I can forward you banking references, historical spending habits, and the official tech worthy credit application. I'll anxiously await for your veredict. Hopefully you will find me worthy of posting in the same places you do, and perhaps even, if I may be so bold, dive in the same waters you do. I still have a glimmer of hope that maybe one day I can gain your approval.
Stroke alert

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom