Why always shark-infested waters??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from a week in Bahamas where we hunted Lionfish...and to me, they could be worse than sharks...

but for the sensationalism....? can you imagine stating Lionfish infested waters....

thank goodness for sharks. we would have a mess wihtout the apex preditor..gorgeous creatures.
Glad the divers got picked up!!
Judy

How about Shark Populated waters?! Someday, people (especially the media) will realize that having Shark Populated waters will get more positive attention than 'Shark Infested Waters" does. Likewise, have you noticed that people never get bitten by a shark? Rather, they are ATTACKED! oooooooooooooh:no:

How about Shark Populated waters?! Someday, people (especially the media) will realize that having Shark Populated waters will get more positive attention than 'Shark Infested Waters" does. Likewise, have you noticed that people never get bitten by a shark? Rather, they are ATTACKED! oooooooooooooh:no:

Bitten/attacked... semantics. What is your point?

Enjoy the thought of blenny infested waters and think Dr. Bill is correct that "shark depleted" waters would be more accurate. Maybe it's time for us to inspire writers (since they are so clearly lacking as to use such a hack phrase) into a new spin - "shark enriched" waters. As Dr. Bill said, where they were once, they are no more. If there's a file started here somewhere with every article that used that old phrase, I'd find the time to write and complain and suggest a new direction in hopes that it could have an educational trickle effect.

When people think I'm crazy because of how much I LOVE diving with hammerheads and they shudder and tell me how scared they would be, I explain to them how skiddish hammerheads are and how even a diver's bubbles will scare them away. I usually then accompany it with how territorial the pretty little damselfish are and how they don't hesitate to attack (not that they can hurt with gloves, just annoy) and how much I've always smiled at the irony of the public perception vs the reality. And then you have people who think Orcas are oh so cute and sweet. (Free Willy vs Jaws) And why anyone wants to touch a sea lion is beyond me. Do people think of touching wild dogs? Do they miss the teeth on sea lions? Have they ever seen a huge bull protecting his harem?

An ocean enriched with sharks. My preferred spin.

Of course "shark infested" sounds so much more exciting but consider- an "infestation" is an unwelcome and unnatural population.....now me, I'd consider bed bugs- infested to be a whole lot worse. The ocean is the natural habitat for shark (and other marine life), so the use of "infested" is completely wrong...however, as a species, the human race has and continues to destroy natural habitats, leading many species to extinction. So makes you wonder....are we the "lion fish" of the earth?

I think you mean they get "tasted" by sharks.

Back
Top Bottom