Special lenses for mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is totally traumatic for me but I just came to the realization that after a lifetime of 20/20 vision and never having to worry about corrective lenses, I suddenly can't focus on stuff that's close to my face, like my freaking dive computer, air gauge, and compass! :cussing: I guess that comes with turning 43.

I'm just coming to grips with this, so maybe you older divers can tell me what I'm in for. Am I going to need bifocals? A special mask? Contact lenses for diving? What do other fogies do who can't read their dials but otherwise see fine?

I tried the stick on dive optic magnifiers and they just wash away when you flood your mask. I then went to a mono vision contact len. My left eye is the dominant eye so my reading contact goes in my right eye. This works great for me. When I am not diving I wear glasses the rest of the time. Good luck choosing the right path for you.

The key to getting the DiveOptx stick on lenses to stick is to use non-oily detergent to clean them, your mask and your hands. Then, follow the directions and allow 24 hours for them to dry.

I've had them fail to stick when using hand soap (both bar and liquid). I've never had them fail when using dishwashing soap.

I even lost my mask at Redondo Beach, CA when a large wave to it right off my face. It rolled around in the surf zone for a few days before someone found it and shipped it back to me. DiveOptx still in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both Sea Vision and XS Scuba make masks with readers already built in. Sea Vision's gauge reader comes in +2.0 only but come in lots of skirt and lens colors and cost $125-$130 on leisurepro. The XS mask (also called a gauge reader) comes in +1.75 only and in 5 different color combinations. Its only $68 on leisure pro. I've used them both and they both work great. The seavision is a little lower volume. I usually buy 3-4 of those at DEMA every other year at a price closer to the XS.

A regular mask with readers glued in does not work as well or last as long as the ones with lenses manufactured in.

BTW, ordering the Sea Vision masks directly from the manufacturer at DEMA seems to be the only way to actually get gauge readers with the skirt/frame/lens color you want. Maybe you will have better luck with your LDS but given that there are at least 24 possibilities, good luck.

Last edited:
I ordered a mask from my LDS with corrective lenses, readers in the bottom of the mask. The correction is good, but.... I'm real sensitive to anything, ANYTHING just a little off in my glasses. The permanent readers are fine, but only one eye at a time. The lenses are much farther away than my actual PD (Pupil Distance) of 65mm. I can only focus through one or the other by looking slightly sideways through one lens or the other. I needed to order a real prescription mask for my very nearsighted wife. I researched this issue and ordered one from Prescription Dive Masks I ordered one for myself, after speaking with the optician (who is a diver) about my concerns. I haven't received them yet, but many reviewers speak highly of his work.

I received the masks today. We haven't been in the water yet, but both masks are much better than anything we've tried. The optician moved my reader lenses up a little higher and closer together than usual, letting me focus with both eyes. My wife was able to see well through both sections (bifocals). :thumb:

freedc,
sad truth, and obviously shared by many of us.

I have over 10 years of U/W "solutions" since that very first every visit to the optometrist at age 42. and very sorry, but the really sad truth is it's a mildly slippery slope from here on out - your eyes will likely continue to slowly degrade, mine have.

when I started asking around our dive club like you have here, I realized the many of the folks I'd been buddying with claimed they could read their gauges but they certainly could not read mine. Have added that to my buddy check "what's my computer read?"

I started with the stick-on's, they are a great place to figure out mask position and magnification. tried lots of different configurations, different mags, 2 different mags (hi/lo) on one side, etc. there are smaller (cheaper) versions than diveoptix, search on "optx 20 20 stick-on bifocals" - and agree with all the "religiously follow directions" from earlier posts, that and waiting several days, as well as being very careful with hot water rinses will keep them on your mask for a very long time.

Next option were "look down masks" (aka "guage readers") described earlier with built-in magnifiers as part of the mfgr'd mask lens: a) few skirt options so they don't fit all faces - like mine, b) they follow a book-reading bi-focal paradigm putting the lenses in the very bottom so you have to crank your head way back to see anything in front of or above you, and c) if poor fit, you end up with a couple of table spoons of water in the bottom of the mask right at the magnifiers ... net-net, didn't work for me but the folks I sold them to seemed very happy to get them...

Next were drop-in replacement lenses, they are a great direction but the vast majority of the corrective lens market is for those other folks needing negative diopters, only a few manufacturers had positive magnifiers in any selection. this has improved dramatically probably due to our aging demographic. If you aren't buying a new mask turn keyed with the lenses, find a local shop that will absolutely positively warranty the conversion and then pay them to do it, otherwise you're out both the mask and the lenses if something breaks (happened to me...). bottom line with this option is you have to decide where you are going to compromise your vision, too much mag to see you camera and your gauge/computer and you may not won't see much else...practice with stick-on's at that mag directly in your primary field of view before buying.

My current "solution" is a $350+mask custom set of ground trifocal lenses glued into my favorite perfectly fitting mask. Found an optician who is a diver (as well as shooter so understands special needs), went in with my reg/gauges, computer, cameras and my wrist mounted compass (he loved all that! had me lay on the floor and measured distances to everything). My large main central field is lightly magnified targeting perfect vision @ 4-6' focal distance but doesn't sacrifice too much beyond that (that fabulous whale shark 30' away was very much in focus but hunting for hammerheads at the edge of the 90-120' visibility was probably compromised), the bottom magnifier is similar to my reading prescription targeting 15-24" focal length allowing me to read everything on my camera. The small top magnifying portion positioned just above the usual field of view targets a tight 8" focal length so for the first in a decade I can read a compass heading through the side window of my wrist mounted compass while swimming it!

only down side with glued in lenses is long term adhesion, prior posters are on the mark here - I had a dive master stuff my mask in my fin's foot pocket and now both glued in lenses have started to come off. they can be glued back in - as long as I don't loose them or they don't break when they eventually come loose. Still would do it again with glue-ins over custom ground replacement lenses and possibly end up with a leaky mask that no one in the chain will take responsibility for...

bottom line, it was the best $350 I've spent on dive gear in a very long time. Made a huge difference in the fun factor. And on the very first dive with them, I spotted a dozen pacific spiny lumpsuckers on a single dive, they're a very difficult marble sized fish to find here in the chilly NW - finding one is truly great, 2 is amazing, a dozen...well...I have the pictures to prove it.

good luck.

ps, and remember if you can't see with a magnified mask in air, you won't be able to see any better underwater, water may change the gross magnification (remember -everything looks bigger/closer) but not what correction your eye's need to see. I had 2 respected shops try to tell me that everything would be better once I had a magnified mask underwater...

I have worn glasses since 12 years old. Can't stand contacts. First thing I did after getting certified was order a mask with prescription lens. Only cost about $100. Also have as backup a gauge reader mask. It is not set to my prescription, but is great help.
Robert, A Diver

Last edited:
I would strongly suggest you contact Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878. . They helped me by making a full bi-focal mask. They work one on one with you and are absolutely fantastic. I can now see so many little things (seahorses, goby's) that I had NEVER seen before. You should most definitely contact this company. They are the best.

I gave up on the stick on lens and went with a prescription mask. Worth every penny of your investment. I've had mine for a few years now and they really make a difference since I don't have to look for that tiny little sweet spot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom