The History of the ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Removed it? Because why?
Maybe NetDoc should sign off on it for validity?

Wikipedia doesn't look for, or care much about, validation so that wouldn't be the issue. Rather the community removes anything that's seen as commercial or not factually useful... No matter how good a job Cave Diver did, sometimes they just aren't a fit for their standards.

As ScubaBoard has grown from a leading site into a part of dive history, the value of a community page has presumably grown too.

Wikipedia doesn't look for, or care much about, validation so that wouldn't be the issue. Rather the community removes anything that's seen as commercial or not factually useful... No matter how good a job Cave Diver did, sometimes they just aren't a fit for their standards.

As ScubaBoard has grown from a leading site into a part of dive history, the value of a community page has presumably grown too.
Actually that's an outdated "fact". They do have people who work with validating content and tests has shown that wikipedia is as accurate as many of the well known encyclopedia..
That they might consider it "advertising" could of course be the thing, but I don't really see how an article about scubaboard is more advertising than an article about cocacola..

Actually that's an outdated "fact". They do have people who work with validating content and tests has shown that wikipedia is as accurate as many of the well known encyclopedia..
That they might consider it "advertising" could of course be the thing, but I don't really see how an article about scubaboard is more advertising than an article about cocacola..

Sorry, I wasn't clear at all in my comment. My point on validation is that they do not require business owner to validate the listing as being "ok" for it to stay up. Most of the companies I work with have wikipedia entries written about them which they have never touched and often to the point that there are major inaccuracies which take some planning to address within the rules.

IMO, the issue with pages being flagged is not so much having a listing for a business but rather what that listing says. For it to survive the process it must be a "neutral" article on a "notable subject" ideally with cites. Of course you can find many examples that defy this, things certainly get through, but as you pointed out... the accuracy of crowdsourcing is for the most part amazing and much of that comes from being over suspect to avoid fluff.

Reactions: Jax
We are a kinder and gentler lot.

Considering several recent ,er, conflicts in certain threads THAT is hard to imagine. :D :shakehead:

I do recall a few battles I stumbled across in a few threads, even back in '05 that were not pretty. Truly hard to imagine a less kind and gentle bunch than some of that conflict. :idk: Mostly back then I was more of a lurker than a poster, so my contact with mods was non existent, but the mods I have had contact with more recently have certainly tried to be fair and responsive, even if we have not seen eye to eye on every point.

Still, in the mere 6+ years I have been a member I have been extremely impressed with the friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable mods, and regular folks who are the majority of the members I correspond with, who go out of their way to make other divers feel welcome here.

Considering several recent ,er, conflicts in certain threads THAT is hard to imagine. :D :shakehead:
You might be reading it wrong... we are kinder, gentler and more patient today than ever. Before I took over things were done in a way that left only questions. Today, if you are banned you get an "NA" under your name as in "Not Available". Before me, the process was to change the password and the email so they could not sign back on. A few of the notables were excised from our community for various reasons and not all of them good. While I was able to find Mario, I could not find Iggy. Both deserve to be a part of this community on THEIR terms. Another change is that we administrate by consensus now. I refuse to be a dictator and require the Mod Squad to come to solutions on their own. Every now and then I exercise my veto power but that is truly rare. Case in point: TekDiveGirl. She was banned because of something her now deceased husband did from her account. In the aftermath of his death I felt that she needed community more than ever and allowed her back on. Two mods quit over that, but I would still rather show compassion in times of crisis. I see ScubaBoard as being inclusive rather than the opposite. That, more than anything, has shaped her to what she is today.

You might be reading it wrong... we are kinder, gentler and more patient today than ever. Before I took over things were done in a way that left only questions. Today, if you are banned you get an "NA" under your name as in "Not Available". Before me, the process was to change the password and the email so they could not sign back on. A few of the notables were excised from our community for various reasons and not all of them good. While I was able to find Mario, I could not find Iggy. Both deserve to be a part of this community on THEIR terms. Another change is that we administrate by consensus now. I refuse to be a dictator and require the Mod Squad to come to solutions on their own. Every now and then I exercise my veto power but that is truly rare. Case in point: TekDiveGirl. She was banned because of something her now deceased husband did from her account. In the aftermath of his death I felt that she needed community more than ever and allowed her back on. Two mods quit over that, but I would still rather show compassion in times of crisis. I see ScubaBoard as being inclusive rather than the opposite. That, more than anything, has shaped her to what she is today.

Well said. Thanks.

I have read some references to those incidents, but I usually try to simply ignore the drama, although there have been a few times that I must admit to :stirpot: and :gas: with certain, er, deserving individuals.

SB may not be perfect, and I do occasionally get into conflicts with other folks and or disagree with rulings by one of the mods, but I really enjoy the fact that this is a very friendly, welcoming forum where anyone with an interest is diving is welcome, as long as they respect their fellow posters.

Wow, I never imagined this thread would take this turn! I gotta side with Pete on this issue...much as it pains me to side with him on any issue...

There were just some unconscionable things that went on in the "old system" and, sob, sob, sob, I was a victim at least once. Pete mentioned Iguana Don and I just gotta tell ya that he was one fine fellow. As far as I could tell, he was an excellent diver and gave excellent advises. And he was so darn funny, I looked forward to everyone of his posts. I miss the old SOB (different than sob, sob,sob)... And, he fell victim to the KGB-style purge. If he is lurking and sees this, my plea is, "Come back...."

At any rate, this thread has been fun for me because a few of the old gang have shown up and a few of the new gang have introduced themselves and seem to be made of the "Right Stuff"!

joewr...hoping that NetDoc will not become accustomed to my being so polite...that would be a big error...and this space is still for lease or rent, but not for sale...

So Doc ... ya had any luck finding Popeye? ... :wink:

Uncle Pug turned me on to ScubaBoard on a dive trip in November 2001. I lurked for a couple months before joining because I remember thinking this place was so huge a guy could get lost in here ... been almost 10 years now, and I still get lost in here sometimes.

Nice to see all the "old-timers" still hanging around ... would be nicer still if we could get Uncle Pug to come back.

I've met a lot of nice people through this board ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom