Diving Harkness Park or Anchor Beach (CT) Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pandorasboxfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering if anyone has done any dives at Harkness memorial park and has any advice on where to access the beach / dive or any insights into what the terrain is like? I haven't been able to find much posted anywhere. I also stumbled upon a pdf from the 80's at the maritime aquarium website that mentions anchor beach in milford as a shore diving site. Has anyone been there? Any help with either of these sites would be awesome!

I understand Harkness has some very interesting rocky terrain and some depth and we attempted to dive there. We were stopped by the park rangers or told we can not enter the water due to rip currents at the time.

I'd probably be willing to buddy up with you for a dive there as its only a 30-40 min drive for me. Be prepared for a possibly challenging entry and exit and maybe unpredictable strong currents or surge.

I would be interested in trying out either place too. If you guys wanna try either spot out send me a PM or reply here. The water is still warm enough for me as I dont dive with a drysuit. Im willing to try any new spots..
Mike

As for Anchor Beach in milford...i have never dove there yet, but i do know the city of Milford Fire and Police Dive teams use it as a training site but i dont know of depth or current.

I did an easy hour at Stonington Point this week with just a 7mm fullsuit.

The water is not too cold and I've yet to start layering.

Time to do a little google earthing.

Try the boat ramp at Pleasure Beach in Waterford. Good parking and an easy after work and night dive

Try the boat ramp at Pleasure Beach in Waterford. Good parking and an easy after work and night dive

Thats a pretty boring dive Gill.

You can't dive from ramps anymore in CT anyway and sometime security is there as you have the powerplant across the cove and they are not crazy about having divers in the water in that area. You can walk down the path and go from the Pleasure Beach at this time of the year but the dive is quite boring.

I live about 10 mins from anchor beach and would definitely be up for trying it to find out what it is like. I'll pm you guys with possible afterwork dive times/dates if you are interested in diving there this week or next? I was in RI on Tuesday and the water was still really warm (~66) with a dozen or two butterflyfish scurrying about :D. @ Scubasaurus Harkness sounds interesting for terrain, though i am leery of any site with strange currents. I'm guessing slack tide on a really calm day would be ok?

Harkness does look interesting. Let me do some research and asking about those rips. You notice there is a 60ft drop off 1/2 mile out I wouldn't go more than 1/4 mile out. But rocky terrain like this at an angle deflecting water movement can create some interesting water effects.

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 227
  • Snap2.jpg
    Snap2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 117
The map/terrain looks promising for wildlife, though i am with you on approaching this site with caution. Let me know what you find out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom