Confess your SCUBA sins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My biggest sin is the abdication of leadership. I have a tendency to defer to anyone I think is better, stronger, more experienced or somehow more senior than I am. (It's my temperament; I work well in hierarchical structures.) This has led me not to take control of some dives that did not go as I would have liked them to go, although none resulted in any injury or even anything scary -- just the occasional inconvenience or awkwardness or irritation. I also get nervous trying to "perform" in front of people I want to do well for, which inevitably results in screwing something up.

I have been guilty of various other minor sins, but nothing else shows a pattern.

Why not take a bit of bungie cord and just bungie it around your neck, so it's right up against your chest and you can always find it. If you are still dragging it in the muck while it's mounted there, then you have bigger issues then where your octo is :)
Yeah, I do that with my pony 2nd stage when deep diving. It's just as easy to stick the octo in the cumberbun, which I keep loose on purpose -- We're talking about 10-20 foot benign dives. But you may have a point--The muck sometimes is so loose that if you could breathe on it it would fly all over, so the further away the octo is the better.

My weights are not designed for scuba diving

Never considered that one, half of my lead is made of "proper" weights, the other half is made of roofing lead wrapped in electrical tape. works great since I can cut it up to my liking with sturdy scissors :D

you should see my freakin' gloves...

Another sin i hadn't considered, industrial marigolds are just so comfy and they keep me nice and warm but still allow me full maneuverability of my hands!

I dove for years without a certification card.

I bought one when it became necessary to get fills away from home.

Before buying a card I dove well below 130 feet, I dove in and around wrecks, overhead environments, took pictures, and criticized blackvans.....

All without the appropriate specialty cards......actually I criticized the octopus poking while in possession of a certification card, but do not possess the appropriate "holier than thou" card.....

Oh, and I introduced my kids to diving before they were 10 without an instructor card and an agency back up

My first dive after ow was to 110ft
My spg is clipped to my left chest rather than hip
I hold my breath taking pictures
I routinely lose track of my buddy while taking pictures
Ive dove reverse profiles
Peed in my wetsuit next to my buddy during a safety stop

I thought of another sin... I called my light one-mil gloves (I wear in the quarry to keep the midwestern piranhas from nibbling and the old rusty crap from cutting me to shreds) "reef gloves" in front of a warm water dive instructor. He freaked out on me for like 10 minutes for calling them "reef gloves".

I hang my head in shame.

Against PADI recommendations and training I don't use a snorkel. (gasp!)

TBH I wouldn't reject this idea out of hand.....

I don't normally wear a snorkel either but there are some dives where I take it with me (albeit in a pocket) because it's a tool that could become useful.

R..

We all share similar sins. The ones I can think of are:

Dove without a cert card before getting one.

Past 130' without tech training.

Touching stuff uw.

Solo diving without the card.

This isn't self contained...but as a child (10 or 11) my brother and I hooked a hose to a manual air mattress pump and he pumped while I did a 5 minute dive in our pool. I used my tounge and an open mouth to regulate pressure. Thank god there was no oil residue in that thing. I'd say that was my worst sin, since I was screwing with stuff I didn't know anything about.

I'll dive solo.

I don't do the buddy separation thing "after one minute surface" and so forth on a 90 ft drift with my regular buddies. Now if I had a weaker buddy or a family member, there would not be a buddy separation. :D Oh I don't buddy up with strangers.

I had my daughter on SCUBA before she ever saw a class room.

Back
Top Bottom