Article: Streamlining Your Scuba Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(From the picture in the article)Need to put the reel behind you and mount the knife more securely/tightly on the harness.

The 'knife' is actually the end of my waist-belt/SPG... click on the pic for a more detailed view. There is a Ti knife snug on the centre of my waist-belt.

Agreed about the reel location... I was teaching rec wreck class and the reel was on-off-on-off... more handy located at the hip, without deco cylinders worn.

If your dive profiles do not demand more specific configuration there are also the Air Intergrated wireless computer and the Integrated Octo. The Wireless computer allows the elimination of the SPG along with it's hose and the Integrated Octo moves the Octo to the power inflator and removes another hose. It this case you don't have to consider the octo or console keepers there isn't anything to dangle and it leaves you with more options to clip off other gear. For the majority of vacation divers that don't dive overhead obstructions (cave or wrecks) This configuration is the ultimate in streamline. Ignoring these configuration options does an injustice to the largest group of people in the sport who's dive profiles allow this type of optimal simplicity to their regulator assembly/gauge package.

I enjoyed the article, DevonDiver. Of course, it isn't exhaustive, nor was it intended to be, probably. I've recently experimented with mounting my AIR 2 on my singles wing-SS Freedom Plate (with a custom AIR 2 inflator hose), eliminating the usual back-up regulator and separate power inflator. Still early, but so far I really like the additional simplicity/streamlining.

I especially like the photo of the diver in doubles. Really conveys the ease and comfort I strive for when I dive (even though I personally in open water am more of a flutter-kicker than a modified-frog-kicker). And the lack of wings wrapping around the tanks--made possible, I suppose, because the diver is wearing lightweight doubles and a minimal exposure suit and not carrying deco cylinders--makes everything seem that much cleaner, that much more streamlined.

Last edited:
if you are using an AIR2 or similiar inflator/octo device, please make sure you practice and drill for OOG events. This is especially important if you have a snorkel on your kit since i have seen (and had happen when i used one) divers easily confuse the snorkel and the AIR2 putting the snorkel in thier mouth while donating the primary - its an easy way to create a double incident when tasked loaded (such as you are when donating for real). a simple stream lined kit works for all enviornments (doubles or singles) and increases muscle memory for each peice, where it goes and how its used. The idea being that you don't need to think about a peice of the system, you just do it. Simple rules are all you need, such as the same item goes in the same place everytime. it greatly reduces stress and increases confidence and enjoyment on the dive. nothing worse than getting hung up on some fishing line while at 30 feet on a reef and then trying to remember where you put your shears, line cutter, or knife.

So I've been thinking along these lines. Recently got a Vyper Air, am now thinking of disposing of the SPG hose. But I'd like to hear how reliable the wireless transmitters are....

If your dive profiles do not demand more specific configuration there are also the Air Intergrated wireless computer and the Integrated Octo. The Wireless computer allows the elimination of the SPG along with it's hose and the Integrated Octo moves the Octo to the power inflator and removes another hose. It this case you don't have to consider the octo or console keepers there isn't anything to dangle and it leaves you with more options to clip off other gear. For the majority of vacation divers that don't dive overhead obstructions (cave or wrecks) This configuration is the ultimate in streamline. Ignoring these configuration options does an injustice to the largest group of people in the sport who's dive profiles allow this type of optimal simplicity to their regulator assembly/gauge package.

I enjoyed the article, DevonDiver. Of course, it isn't exhaustive, nor was it intended to be, probably. I've recently experimented with mounting my AIR 2 on my singles wing-SS Freedom Plate (with a custom AIR 2 inflator hose), eliminating the usual back-up regulator and separate power inflator. Still early, but so far I really like the additional simplicity/streamlining.

I tried an AIR2 type system way back. It was actually on my old, old Buddy Commando BCD. I did about 20 dives with it, but it was never really my cup-of-tea. Saved a hose/2nd stage, but actually was far more of an annoyance/cluster by putting that weight/bulk onto the LPI (rather than a well-stowed AAS on an appropriate length hose).

It's a matter of personal preference, but I found AIR2 systems to increase, rather than decrease bulk & dangling.

I especially like the photo of the diver in doubles.

Me :)

Really conveys the ease and comfort I strive for when I dive (even though I personally in open water am more of a flutter-kicker than a modified-frog-kicker).

That's my usual recreational wreck diving set-up. Independent doubles (AL80s) on cam-bands, with a Custom Divers SS backplate and 66lb wing. It's an old wing, but the only one I've found that takes double cam-banded indies and holds them secure without the need for double-tank cam adaptors. It's got a DIY Hog harness. Regs are MK25s and S600s.. DIR style hose set-up (except for an extra SPG for the indie config). The wing 'used' to be a double-bladder, but I took out the redundant bladder/LPI, because it was unnecessary given my weighting(balanced rig).

Provides excellent redundancy for recreational wreck and deep diving, with all the convenience of slotting in regular rental cylinders when travelling. Takes up virtually no more space/weight when travelling than my single-tank wing does... and sets up just as easily on the boat. Very streamlined and controlled in the water - I use it for most of my recreational courses in Subic (except OW).

For technical dives, I'd still use isolated doubles, with my Halcyon Evolve.

And the lack of wings wrapping around the tanks--made possible, I suppose, because the diver is wearing lightweight doubles and a minimal exposure suit and not carrying deco cylinders--makes everything seem that much cleaner, that much more streamlined.

It's a 66lb wing, but it does tend to sit well without too much taco'ing. Wing capacity does exceed requirements (I normally use a 40lb Evolve with Al doubles and 2-3 stages), but it works well with cam-band doubles and I've not found an alternative that fits that requirement.

I kept a telephone-cord type stretchy thing for my light. Then a major tangle involving a reel and heavy surge. Those things are tangle traps very efficient at capturing lines at merely a touch. I wont even give them away.Good article. I need to do more work on my setup.

So I've been thinking along these lines. Recently got a Vyper Air, am now thinking of disposing of the SPG hose. But I'd like to hear how reliable the wireless transmitters are....

I have the Vytec with the air integrated wireless transmitter, and it is amazing. It makes it easier to check how much gas I have left, but that is part of my life support. One thing we say in tech diving is "two is one, one is none." I have my transmitter, but i still keep my SPG hooked up as well. If my transmitter fails for battery reasons, or just isn't reading pressure (which happened on a dive on Saturday) I still have my regular SPG. I also dive doubles, and have my wireless transmitter on one first stage, and my standard SPG on my other first stage in case I do need to close a tank or the isolation valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom