Seahunt TV show last episode aired 50 years ago today!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question for all you old timers, no offence intended. Watching Mike scuba using his whole body and arms like swimming, was this once the accepted method of scuba diving???? As it is not an easy task, I tried it.
I inquired about the same thing a while ago and the answer was that hand swimming was never used and just something they came up with for the show to make it look more dynamic.

I inquired about the same thing a while ago and the answer was that hand swimming was never used and just something they came up with for the show to make it look more dynamic.

It does its job then :D But not easy, and he makes it look so easy, even with doubles on. Thanks for the response, every time we watch, this keeps coming up. The show does creates some good laughs for the whole family, even for our 13 yr old daughter.

It sure did.

The most interesting part is all the different ways he enters the water. Either a forward flip over the handrail, or just a quick slip of the feet so he falls over....and never checking his gears before entering the water....and never hanging around the surface after entering the water, but always straight into a head down descent.

The most interesting part is all the different ways he enters the water. Either a forward flip over the handrail, or just a quick slip of the feet so he falls over....and never checking his gears before entering the water....and never hanging around the surface after entering the water, but always straight into a head down descent.

Well, he didn't have that much gear to worry about. Besides, if his gear was right in the first place, chances are slim that anything needed to be checked after entering the water. No reason to hang aroung the surface, all the good stuff is beneath the surface.

That is my preference in a wetsuit to this day. Suck the air out of the wing, bail head-first unless the distance off the water is more than ~4', and keep swimming. Of course I’m careful to let people onboard know in advance. It is especially useful when live-boating and trying to hit fathometer targets.

It works in a drysuit but requires going down the ladder to purge air out of the suit and climbing back onboard to get finish getting geared up.

Been watching it on Hulu for a while now. I was too young even for the reruns. Like an earlier poster said, it got me interested in vintage equipment diving. Got an Aquamaster and a set of double 45's and a big ass knife. It really freaks out the "modern" divers when I don my mask on my forehead, the doubles on my back and get ready to jump. No BC, no octo, etc... Well, it's either that or the large hand towel that I've got stuffed down my shorts a la Mike.:D

What's with the worn out wetsuits on everybody? Did they not invent nylon covering back then? It looks like its surface is made out of henderson goldcore material.

And those regs seems to freeflow all the time, is hard to buddy breathe or purge. Is that standard issue back in those days? The only time I saw a single hose regulator was when some little kids used some junior gears.

Does anyone know the progress on releasing the show on dvd. I have seen the website, Scuba Guy SEA HUNT Bill Jones Diving News Clear Lake Lloyd Bridges Padi Timeline Blue Lagoon Travel Training Diver Instruction Program Guide Episode Guide Mike Nelson Authorized Official but this has read the same for at least a year. I know the ones on ebay are from people that have recorded them off tv but wonder what the quality is. Can anyone comment on this quality.

Back
Top Bottom