SAC Calculation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, convert to and stay with metric units. . .it's much easier and makes more sense!

Using 0.75 cf/min imperial units for a convenient reference SAC rate --in metric, this is approximately equivalent to 22 litres/min.

An AL80 holds 11 litres volume at the surface standard of 1 ATA (or 1.01 bar), for a metric rating of 11 litres/bar.

22 [-]litres[/-]/min divided-by 11 [-]litres[/-]/bar equals 2bar/min SAC rate in pressure units --a more useful quantity to utilize during the dive since your SPG reads in bar pressure units.

Your depth in meters, which converts easily to ATA (divide-by-10 and add 1) becomes your multiplier depth factor for your 2bar/min pressure SAC rate.

Example: 30m depth is 4 ATA; your 2bar/min SAC rate at depth now becomes 8bar/min. [4 times 2bar/min equals 8bar/min]. So 10 minutes at depth 30m on an AL80 (11L/bar) tank in nominal conditions, you would expect to consume 80bar of gas and your SPG reading to be down or show a delta of 80bar. . .

What if your SAC rate, or Depth Consumption Rate (DCR) is lower or better than the example above? --Just scale it as a percentage result:

My SAC/RMV in tropical warm waters is typically 30% better than it is in temperate cold SoCal homewaters. However, after a week drift diving in Palau 30deg C water temp, I've lowered that to around 50% of my nominal cold water SAC (from 22 litres/min to 11 litres/min).

This is how I used this value with a 11 litres/bar tank (i.e. an AL80) in Palau:
11 [-]litres[/-]/min divided-by- 11 [-]litres[/-]/bar equals 1 bar/min pressure SAC rate.

All my dives are averaging 20 meters depth going with the drift current; 20 meters is 3 ATA (divide 20 by 10 and add 1 gives a depth in atmospheres absolute of 3 ATA).

Therefore 1bar/min multiplied by 3 ATA equals a depth consumption rate of 3 bar/min at 20 meters. Checking my bottom timer every 10 minutes, I expect to consume 30 bar (3 bar/min multiplied by 10min equals 30 bar), and accordingly my SPG should read 30 bar less in that 10 minute time frame.

So by 30 minutes elapsed dive time at 20 meters, I expect to be down 90 bar or at half tank (AL80 full tank is 200 bar). At 40 minutes elapsed time, I'm ascending off the wall into the shallow coral plateau around 9 meters (down 120 bar from 200 bar total, or 80 bar remaining in tank). And finally at the 45 to 50 minute mark, I'm at 6m and my 3-5min safety stop with 60 to 70 bar left. I surface and I know even before looking at my SPG that I have around 50 bar remaining in my tank.

This is how you should actively use your SAC rate with your particular tank, knowing how much breathing gas you have left, not just only pre-planning, but also during the actual dive real-time-on-the-fly . . .additionally, you have a SPG that reads in units of pressure: why not convert your SAC rate to a Depth Consumption Rate (DCR) in pressure units to make use of it???

I always thought sac rate was millimeters above floor level :confused:

Sorry, just couldn't help myself.. I'm in a weird mood tonight :p

Kevrumbo: You should still use liters/minute with metric (Wich yes, IS much easier to calculate with than imperial), because as others has pointed out, 20 bar off a 15l tank is more (300l) than 24 bar off a 12l tank (288l)
Liters or cubic feet of gas used per minute is more universal than bar/psi used per minute

Actually, convert to and stay with metric units. . .it's much easier and makes more sense!

Using 0.75 cf/min imperial units for a convenient reference SAC rate --in metric, this is approximately equivalent to 22 litres/min.

An AL80 holds 11 litres volume at the surface standard of 1 ATA (or 1.01 bar), for a metric rating of 11 litres/bar.

22 [-]litres[/-]/min divided-by 11 [-]litres[/-]/bar equals 2bar/min SAC rate in pressure units --a more useful quantity to utilize during the dive since your SPG reads in bar pressure units.

Your depth in meters, which converts easily to ATA (divide-by-10 and add 1) becomes your multiplier depth factor for your 2bar/min pressure SAC rate.

Example: 30m depth is 4 ATA; your 2bar/min SAC rate at depth now becomes 8bar/min. [4 times 2bar/min equals 8bar/min]. So 10 minutes at depth 30m on an AL80 (11L/bar) tank in nominal conditions, you would expect to consume 80bar of gas and your SPG reading to be down or show a delta of 80bar. . .

What if your SAC rate, or Depth Consumption Rate (DCR) is lower or better than the example above? --Just scale it as a percentage result:

My SAC/RMV in tropical warm waters is typically 30% better than it is in temperate cold SoCal homewaters. However, after a week drift diving in Palau 30deg C water temp, I've lowered that to around 50% of my nominal cold water SAC (from 22 litres/min to 11 litres/min).

This is how I used this value with a 11 litres/bar tank (i.e. an AL80) in Palau:
11 [-]litres[/-]/min divided-by- 11 [-]litres[/-]/bar equals 1 bar/min pressure SAC rate.

All my dives are averaging 20 meters depth going with the drift current; 20 meters is 3 ATA (divide 20 by 10 and add 1 gives a depth in atmospheres absolute of 3 ATA).

Therefore 1bar/min multiplied by 3 ATA equals a depth consumption rate of 3 bar/min at 20 meters. Checking my bottom timer every 10 minutes, I expect to consume 30 bar (3 bar/min multiplied by 10min equals 30 bar), and accordingly my SPG should read 30 bar less in that 10 minute time frame.

So by 30 minutes elapsed dive time at 20 meters, I expect to be down 90 bar or at half tank (AL80 full tank is 200 bar). At 40 minutes elapsed time, I'm ascending off the wall into the shallow coral plateau around 9 meters (down 120 bar from 200 bar total, or 80 bar remaining in tank). And finally at the 45 to 50 minute mark, I'm at 6m and my 3-5min safety stop with 60 to 70 bar left. I surface and I know even before looking at my SPG that I have around 50 bar remaining in my tank.

This is how you should actively use your SAC rate with your particular tank, knowing how much breathing gas you have left, not just only pre-planning, but also during the actual dive real-time-on-the-fly . . .additionally, you have a SPG that reads in units of pressure: why not convert your SAC rate to a Depth Consumption Rate (DCR) in pressure units to make use of it???

Much easier than PSI/Feet/Atmospheres/Leagues/Drams, etc. When someone asks how much air you have remaining, how do you communicate that?

.....When someone asks how much air you have remaining, how do you communicate that?
They show me their SPG .... :shocked2:

Sorry, I couldn't resist :D

Reactions: Jax
I always thought sac rate was millimeters above floor level :confused:

Sorry, just couldn't help myself.. I'm in a weird mood tonight :p

Kevrumbo: You should still use liters/minute with metric (Wich yes, IS much easier to calculate with than imperial), because as others has pointed out, 20 bar off a 15l tank is more (300l) than 24 bar off a 12l tank (288l)
Liters or cubic feet of gas used per minute is more universal than bar/psi used per minute
Again, my point is that your SPG is in pressure units, NOT volumetric units --it makes more sense to convert a SAC rate to pressure units per time for a particular tank, or set of tanks used.

Interestingly btw, you can use a bar SPG to indicate remaining volume in a set of double low pressure steel 95's (double 15L tanks):

How to use a SPG in bar units to read remaining volume in cubic feet in a set of double manifolded LP95's:
The metric tank rating for a set of double manifolded LP95's (twin 15L tanks): 30 litres/bar.
And there are 28.3 litres in one cubic foot;
So 30 [-]litres[/-]/bar divided-by 28.3 [-]litres[/-]/cubic foot equals:
1.1 cubic foot/bar.
Therefore, a SPG in bar units used with a set of double LP95's will also indicate remaining volume in cubic feet, to a reasonable approximation. . .

Keep in mind that the relation between gas volume and pressure is increasingly non-linear beyond 3300 PSI or so. PSI/min is a useless measure for SAC if using high pressure tanks.

It's not that bad. At 250 bar the compressibility factor (Z) is only ~1.07 so you're still less than 10% off. It is true that because Z > 1 that you have less air than you think, but for the calculations we're trying to do here it's probably not going to be noticeable when you include the uncertainties in other quantities.

It's not that bad. At 250 bar the compressibility factor (Z) is only ~1.07 so you're still less than 10% off. It is true that because Z > 1 that you have less air than you think, but for the calculations we're trying to do here it's probably not going to be noticeable when you include the uncertainties in other quantities.
That is correct. However, 300 bar tanks are quite common here and 320+ bar fills not unheard of. Under these circumstances Z is too far from 1 to be ignored.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom