Yet another drysuit thread.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for the advice Hashime, just need to find a centre and a good buddy

Shoot me a call today after 11am central time :wink: We ship to Canada and I can help you wade thru all the suits.....even if you don't want to buy from us, at least I can go over them all. There is SO much info that I could write a book for you. Give me a call and let's see where the conversation goes:cool2:
Sure, do you accept calls from google talk?

I actually just received my HOG dry suit which I believe is made by USIA. My measurements were sent in with the order and the suit fits very well. I actually had it in the pool for the 1st time last night and the suit worked fine. I just have to work on floaty feet :) But not bad for the 1st time in a dry suit.

The suit is triple stitched and the stitching inside the suit is sealed with the rubber tape stuff. I can't wait to get out into open water and see how this all works out.

It has come to the time in my diving career as an Ontario fresh water diver that I must come out of the cold and drive dry. I did 50 dives this spring / summer in my 7mm farmer john and I have met my tolerance for deep cold dives.
My options based on research and talking with a few shops (so far, if you know a place that has a good deal and will ship to canada / is in canada I am game as long as I keep the warranty) are:
  • Bare Trilam HD Pro Dry ~$1200 before tax
  • DUI CNSE same price
  • Bare Nexgen with underwear ~$1200 before tax
  • USIA tech flex with underwear, custom, ~$1700 before tax
I am currently a recreational diver, but I don't know what I will get into in the future, so a "future resistant" suit would be the best bet. I need some opinions on the matter.
Off topic, the USIA suit impressed me when I saw it in person, it is made out of a different material, and it has a relief zipper, though I don't know if that is necessarily a good thing.
I am hoping to have the suit in hand for my new year's dive.
Thanks for the help.
I tried DUI before I ended up buying a BARE suit.
The suit I ended up with was a CD4ProDry wich is crushed neoprene. The DUI suit i tested was a trilam suit which was very comfortable, but it didnt really keep me dry :/
Only regret with my BARE suit is the issue of it being too heavy (and warm if going tropical) to take with me on flights.

sorry to tag onto this thread but I had a question about dry suits. Ive never worn one, the idea worries me. I've moved to Norway and facing cold water for the first time. Do I have to complete a course, or is it something that can be picked up through some safe training dives with one? If anyone else dives in norway - can I get away with a semi dry for short exposure - what temp do these work too. Im pretty good at not feeling the cold! I think im just looking for excuses not to wear one...
Here in Norway, if you want the season to last for a reasonable period of time, Id seriously suggest going dry. Theres a bit of practice to get used to a drysuit, but its not really any magic. A course can be taken, or if you have some decent buddies you can learn it from them.
Semidry Ive dived down to ~10c (7mill with hooded west) and that was not very pleasant at the end of the first dive and really crappy to get back into the suit for a 2nd..

I'm fortunate to live only 10 minutes away from Dive Right In Scuba. When I went to Our World Underwater (the annual scuba trade show in the Chicago area), the Whites guys said very positive things about Mike at Dive Right In (including their repair/servicing abilities), and I was very happy buying a suit from him. In their shop they carry several brands, and the people at the shop give me the impression that they'll give good advice even if you don't end up buying from them.

As far as training goes, I did the PADI course in part because I rented both DUI and Whites drysuits before I bought, and having the certification card was a prerequisite to renting. A friend of mine bought a drysuit in Italy, where he's from, and he didn't feel like doing the PADI course. I went through things with him and practiced some skills with him in a quarry (like feet up, multiple slow ascents, etc.) and he now feels quite comfortable with his drysuit. He was already an experienced diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom