What is the customary tip for dive charters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TracyN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey all,

I was just wondering what the customary tip amount is for dive charters? Is it the standard 20%? The charters are already expensive enough but I don't want to pay too much or give too little. Thanks.

That depends on the length of the "charter" (day boat or liveaboard) and the services rendered (just a boat ride to the site, or do they do more). For a typical tropical day boat where you're following a guide, they change out tanks for you, etc., $5 per tank is average. On the other hand, if it's just a ride to the dive site and you're otherwise on your own, $0 to $5 for the trip depending on how you feel and how hungry they look.

Thanks, it's pretty much going to be a taxi ride to the site and my buddy and I will be on our own while the Capt mans the boat.

I give the captain five bucks and the DM, if there is one, the same for a two tank trip. Sometimes there is a helper on the boat and I do the same for him/her. I've never had anyone complain or turn the money down.

For a two tank dive as recreation usually $10, as instructor with students $20. Relates to help provided.

I generally tip $5 a tank or local equivalent, depending on service of course. But our usual charter always offers excellent service.

For a day boat charter, from The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette, Chapter 3.

PLEASE TIP
Do it. Tip something. Tip in local currency if you can. Always tip in cash. If you are clueless as to what is appropriate, then tip five to ten dollars per tank per diver. That’s a fair range. The tip can be on the lower end if the services provided are minimal, more if someone set up your gear for you, changed out your tank, gave you a beverage and/or snack and/or lunch. You should tip more if the divemaster retrieved the piece of gear you dropped overboard, or saved your life, or did something else special like that. Some boats have a tip jar. We make a habit of asking if there is one, and usually ask loud enough so other people will hear us ask and hopefully tip. If there is a tip jar, put your entire tip in it. If there is none, tip the divemaster and captain separately. Also, tip every day since the crew and dive masters may change daily. But TIP. However, tipping is excused if the boat abandoned you at any dive site.
DivemasterDennis

Thanks, it's pretty much going to be a taxi ride to the site and my buddy and I will be on our own while the Capt mans the boat.
That's how our Spiegel Grove trip went. On this trip, the "captain" had even forgotten to refill the water cooler, and didn't do anything else but drive the boat. In that case, I figured I had paid for my boat ride and didn't figure it was worth a tip any more than I'd tip a bus or subway driver.

On the other hand, people do routinely tip taxi drivers, even when the taxi drivers don't handle luggage.

Whether you view your "captain" as more a bus driver or a taxi driver I guess depends on the sea conditions that day and where you end up going. If it's flat seas, great conditions, and you get taken to some crappy over-dove reef, that's a bus driver. If conditions are tricky or it's a longer distance but the captain manages to get you out to something special, helps you get back in the boat when seas are rough, helps lug tanks on/off the boat back at the dock, and provides an entertaining banter on the trip out and back, that's at least a 10% taxi driver IMO. Be prepared with a couple of fives and then you can decide at day's end whether he/she deserves one, two, or none of them.

I give the captain five bucks and the DM, if there is one, the same for a two tank trip. Sometimes there is a helper on the boat and I do the same for him/her. I've never had anyone complain or turn the money down.

That brings up a whole other question. I have always given the tip (usually $10) to one person in the hopes that they would divide it appropriately. Maybe I should reconsider that MO.

Back
Top Bottom