Jules Undersea Lodge Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hey! Guess what? It's been so windy for so long, we shot down to Jules Undersea Lodge in Key Largo to do dives 1&2 with students, so here it is, the Jules Undersea Lodge Dive Report.
Seas were 1-2 inches, Viz was variable, depending on the amount of activity in the Emerald Lagoon. Best was about 20', worst was about 2'. It was mostly between 15-20'. Water temp was 80 degrees.
So, for those of you who don't know what Jule's is, its like an underwater playground type of thing, and it has an underwater hotel room that you have to scuba down to to get in. Its an old reasearch station I think. Lots of cool stuff for kids there.Here's their website. Anyway, it is good for doing dives 1&2.
Notables included A small Gag Grouper, a medium sized (22 lbs) Cubera Snapper, some angry Stone Crabs and a Hermit Crab, Oh yeah, and tons of Anenomies. Also noteable was the hotel room. I surfaced into it to take a peek. There was a kinda unpleasant smell to it, but it was cool. Hey, it was diving.

I take runs down to Jules for equipment check out dives, skills practice and the like. One of the better ways to get wet when it is too rough out or you need an easy place for a check out dive.

Kev, is there a level area there where a group of students could be settled to demonstrate skills, or is the bottom all urchins?

JustJules:
Kev, is there a level area there where a group of students could be settled to demonstrate skills, or is the bottom all urchins?

There were no urchins that I noticed, but there is a platform and an underwater patio-like area with an ascent line. It is a very good place for skills, except for the silt. Teach them how to not kick up the bottom a bit in the pool and it should help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom